Does HDMI have an auto select facility

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by s3marc, Aug 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. s3marc

s3marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Does it have the ability to switch source like scart?

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Simple answer: No.

Complex answer: HDMI does contain control information that would in theory allow smart devices. So you could have a say DVD player, press play, the AV receiver switch to DVD audio in and the TV to select DVD. I don't know what kit has implemented this yet - my DVD has an option to send the IR functions over the HDMI link but I don't know if anything can understand this yet.

-Ian

3. s3marc

s3marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Ian,

seems a little strange that the 'new' technologies , did not include a genuinely useful feature - switching sources via turning the source on.

On the Loewe it is not the easiest to switch sources for my kids - so if they want to watch the dvd they come running to me. And as for the wife!

I have a harmony remote, but they dont know the discrete codes to switch sources directly - which is a shame, so you have to program it to go into source selection mode and move left or right to find the correct source. it works but is a bit tiresome.

Marc

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I know what you mean. My wife doesn't care much about PQ do she plays DVD's in the DVD recoder just because it auto switches. Mine you, my Loewe DVD recorder isn't much good as a recorder so at least it gets some use.