Question Does HDMI ARC add input lag?

Buhaj47

While I had my PS4 Pro connected to my TV (Sony XF90) directly, I noticed a lipsync issue in some games (use a Yamaha BAR 400). Now I connected my PS4 to the soundbar to utilize HDMI ARC. The lipsync issue is alleviated, but does the soundbar add input lag? I didn't notice it myself.

outoftheknow

If there is no adjustment (manual or automatic) follow teh audio and video along each cable. So PS4 has both into the TV. Video heads into TV processing and displays. Audio gets sent to RAV processing/bypass and out the ARC/eARC to the soundbar. Soundbar takes that and processes as necessary and produces sound from speakers.

The audio path is “longer” and all things being equal if there are synch issues the audio will lag behind the video.

Any manual audio adjustment is to delay the audio further. I don’t think consumer devices have a manual adjustment to delay the video.

Now with PS4 connected to soundbar - audio and video into soundbar. Soundbar takes teh audio and processes/plays it. Video is bypassed and sent out the soundbar output to a TV input. TV takes video and processes/displays it.

Any delay here will be video. HDMI working in the right direction (no return channel use for audio) may utilise the (optional) automatic lip synch feature if HDMI. If not the manual adjustments are all to delay audio so those work. Delay audio on the first device (PS4) if required.

Some makes of device may do it all for you - including when you use the audio return channel with PS4 connected to the TV. If you have issues connected to the TV you will likely need to live with it (unless you can find a setting that delays video - some have reported setting audio delay to maximum has actually fixed the issue), or as you have done connect tk the soundbar so audio is advanced comped dtk video and can be adjusted.

audio return channel audio has added an issue to audio and video synching when many hadn’t even tackled the issue with audio and video going the same way. Literally follow the length of the video and audio paths and the longer path will take longer to get there.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
outoftheknow - the length of the cable/signal path is not usually the issue it is either, as you point out, video takes longer to process than audio and you have to delay the audio or there is something amiss with the processing in the ARC signal path causing unwanted delay.

Yamaha Soundbar - will have a fixed audio delay, which you can usually alter using the Yamaha control App.

Sony XF90 - worth a search to see if others are having a Lip sync issue when using ARC to an AVR or Soundbar.

Joe

outoftheknow

outoftheknow - the length of the cable/signal path is not usually the issue it is either, as you point out, video takes longer to process than audio and you have to delay the audio or there is something amiss with the processing in the ARC signal path causing unwanted delay.
Thanks Joe - just simplifying it. At the end of the day tie note of the connection amd processing push and orders. If video gets ahead of audio (more likely connecting to TV) the audio delay adjustments won’t work. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom