1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does HD show a better SD picture using standard output?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Not A Clue, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still on the 'find a right plasma if it kills you' trail....

...went to Comet and still thinking through whether I want to pay extra for High Def given it hasn't yet taken off and the sales person said >>>

A TV with more lines (he referred to this as High Def) will show standard pictures better as they are scaled up or something - I probed and he said more directly pumping out a sky sports image would be better on a high def tv than a non-high def TV irrespective of whether the output is High Def or not

Does anybody know if this is true ?

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Too many variables to answer that fairly to be honest.

What you may find is on the higher resolution screen the maufacturer puts better processing in than they could get away with on a SD screen.

The Panasonic hd panels definitely look better than the equivilent SD panels, colour gradients is the most noticeble improvement.

But the fact it has to scale more is a minus point not a plus.

What screens are you considering?

3. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If we move off the fence the answer is Nope

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I think you will find that 9 times out of 10 the answer is YES, but not for the reasons stated by the sales guy.

5. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes and No. For example the high res JVC I've just received supposedly scales up the input to a higher resolution. However this can be a double edged sword as too much processing can make the picture look worse. In my case, the JVC processing is actually very good and subtly improves the image. Philips with their Pixelplus systems have a similar upscaling idea, not sure about the other makes though ?

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Every plasma will scale the image to the native resolution of its display, either up or down.

But we are back to the same old thing, there is so much involved passed reolution that makes an image good or bad, which is why a Panny PW6//7/8 can look so much better than another Hi Def screen even when running Hi-Def material.

7. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I would have thought a 480 panel would not be as good as a higher res screen :confused:

PAL runs 576 lines, yes???? (I know some get chopped)

Surely it's better for a higher res screen to scale down, than a low res screen to scale up?????

Although to be fair, I don't know :confused:

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    You go that the wrong way round, if talking about SD material. :)

Most screens do a better job downsaling than they do upscaling, that is why alot of people feed 480 panels 720p, some people prefer it to scaling to native rate.

9. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies guys....the screen I'm considering is the 42PV500...this plasma stuff is more complicated than I ever thought it would be :(

its more easier buying a car than a plasma !!

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    You reckon!? I have been through 6 of them since I got my first plasma last year! :(

11. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I quite agree it is easier buying a car than a plasma.

When buying a car you go to a showroom and a guy in a sharp suit persuades you as to what you buy. You believe him and because he knows a bit about cars you may well get a decent car.

When buying a plasma you go to Comet - that may not be fair it may have been a quote, it wasn't clear - and a guy who sells cookers and washing machines gives you advice as to which plasma to buy.

The PV500 is a decent high def "telly" but you can do substantially better for no more money if you are prepared to accept a "not one box" solution. Making a "more than one box solution" acceptable to the customer takes skill but there are many retailers out there that know how to do it.

You have posted here as "Not a Clue" - I have a suspicion that you have more than a clue but forget the cooker shifters and contact the plasma pros.

12. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but there is a big difference between scaling and scaling with interpolation.

Just scaling will give a magnified image with no increase in apparent resolution, scaling with interpolation will give an increase in apparent resolution at the expense of extra processing (ie. something like pixel plus or d.i.s.t.). An example of scaling and interpolation done in computer graphics is anti-aliasing..

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I think you may be getting a bit ahead of yourself here! :) The guys' nickname is not a clue, and you suddendly hit him with "Scaling with and without interpolation" :rotfl:

When people say scaling with interpolation in the graphics world I think of scaling the image to a bigger size while filling in the missiing gaps.
    A plasma has no choice but to do that, which is why most of them give a nicer image by removing bits of the image than they do trying to guess what should be there.

I think it is fair to say when discussing scaling on here we are not just trying to magnify the image.

It will only give an increase in apparent resolution if done well, if done poorly it will look worse.