does -HD player(1080p)+hdmi+NAS - exist?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GarethR, Sep 20, 2007.

1. GarethR

GarethR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning a dedicated home cinema, but as I can't do anything until I buy a better house (beamed cottages with low ceilings/beams in the way don't lend themselves to projector setups :) ) I'm planning a little upgrade for my existing kit that will also be of use when I set up my pj.

In short, I want to be able to store lots of movies on NAS Hard Disks and be able to access them from the HD/BlueRay player (without the need for a full media PC setup).

Is there anything out there that currently does this? (I don't trust USB streaming btw - I've heard it can be really crap).

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    There is dedicated hardware for this, the drive is contained in the server, mediamax is what you are asking for. No player needed, but deep pockets are a must.

3. tfboy

tfboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    The alternative is an xbox360 with hd-dvd addon drive (although no hdmi unless you get the elite version). Or get a PS3 which can also stream and has hdmi output (but blu-ray and not hd-dvd).

Can't think of anything else...

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    But neither of those can stream an HD movie, cos you can't rip them, and can't download them, well, you can't admit to it!

5. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Looking at mediamax, is it not a PC based solution (albeit a fairly slick looking one)? They appear to have a disclaimer with regards to loading up your media onto the RAID arrays, so I assume it's not "official" like Kaleidescape i.e you need to rip your own media.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    No, you just pop the disc in the drive AFAIK, I've had my hands on one, but not done the process.

7. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Ah yes they seem to rip your media for you as well. If it rips HD-DVDs then surely it must be running Windows?

8. GarethR

GarethR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been doing some digging about and I've found out that there are dnla certified raid arrays out there (the 4Tb Terastation caught my eye ;) ) which means as long as I have a PC to rip my DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray discs (which isn't too difficult) - what I essentially need then is a DVD player that can output 1080p (or at least 720p/1080i for now) over hdmi that is dnla certified.

I know that the bdp-lx70 can do this, but at £820 notes it's a bit more than I was hoping for (especially when I'm looking at £1200 for the RAID array).

Does anyone know of a cheaper player that could do this? :lease:

Thanks for all the replies so far - I started out last week wondering about a pj, and now I'm half-way to knowing about dvd-menu stripping and media centers - what the hell have I got myself into!! :rolleyes:

Edit: ok, found something - Buffalo PC-P4LWAG £110 from Amazon..that'll do nicely :)