Does Gmail push with the iPhone?

jatheclimber

Established Member
Reaction score
I ve done some searches in here and in Google, it seems it can now. Do i need a specific app or do i need to change the settings in my Gmail account to set this up?

Thanks for this, I simply had my Gmail account synced via the standard Google Account option on the Mail setup. Trying this out now

No problem. If you like the help, use the Thanks button ;)

Setting it up using the GoogleMail button in accounts allows you to setup for IMAP; they both have their pro's and cons, but I generally go with the Exchange way as I prefer my mail to push rather than fetch. You can have both set up, and then have one active and one not. I have Exchange set up to push email and OTA sync my calendar, and I also have it set up using IMAP, with mail turned off and Notes turned on.

I am not sure I understand all that, but thanks. I dont know the difference between push and fetch. What I want is the new email notification on the email icon, from Gmail. I assume thats fetch?

I am not sure I understand all that, but thanks. I dont know the difference between push and fetch. What I want is the new email notification on the email icon, from Gmail. I assume thats fetch?

You'll get that with either. The difference between Push and Fetch is with Push, you're always online with the mailserver and any new email is immediately Pushed to your iPhone with very little delay. With Fetch, you tell your iPhone that it must connect and Fetch new email at a specific interval... every 15 minutes, for instance.

Both will show new mail alerts, icons etc.

Follow the link in MattC's first reply and you'll be sorted.

.... With Fetch, you tell your iPhone that it must connect and Fetch new email at a specific interval... every 15 minutes, for instance...

Also worth bearing in mind with the fetch method is increased intervals means increased battery usage. If all you want is to be notified of new emails, push is definitely the way to go.

Yes, hotmail recently upgraded to allow exchange account setup.

Glad I saw this today as now I've set all my Gmail as an Exchange account.

I have my contacts in groups so ideally, I'd only like to sync some of them. Is there a way of doing this?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom