Does Find my iPhone need to be running in the taskbar?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a quickie,

I have SBSettings installed and the Remove BG app to quickly close all apps running in the background.

I have FMI added as an exception, so even after clicking RemoveBG, if I double tap the Home button FMI is running, but does it actually need to be?

Cheers.

No.

I just got a replacement iPhone 4S, have enabled iCloud "FindMyIphone" but NOT installed the actual app off the store (so it's obviously not running).
Just checked via the iCloud website, and it shows it's location.

There are two things going on here (I think), there is the find iphone app, which is only used for finding idevices on your account. There will also be a find my iphone process that runs in the background of iOS, (enabled in settings) broadcasting your position and it is this that icloud.com (and the app) uses to identify where the device is.

As the OP is jailbroken, is he talking about the app or the background process that he is preventing being killed. If app then he needn't worry, but if its the process then it probably will stop him finding his phone.

Last edited:
dwhite said:
There are two things going on here (I think), there is the find iphone app, which is only used for finding idevices on your account. There will also be a find my iphone process that runs in the background of iOS, (enabled in settings) broadcasting your position and it is this that icloud.com (and the app) uses to identify where the device is.

As the OP is jailbroken, is he talking about the app or the background process that he is preventing being killed. If app then he needn't worry, but if its the process then it probably will stop him finding his phone.

The actual app showing in the taskbar when I double click the Home button.

The Find my iPhone app is completely separate to the actual processes that allow you to actually find your iphone etc.

The app is purely for you or someone else to log into with their iTunes account and see where their device(s) is. Its the part under Mail etc accounts for iCloud that actually allows your phone to send its position so that the app or the iCloud website can then show it.

Your iDevice could still show its location if its enabled under Mail accounts for iCloud without the app being installed let alone not running.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom