1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does dvd record in up to 530 lines, or more?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tunes Man, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been reading lately about the resolution that dvd records in and I guess I'm still unsure how much resolution it can record in.
    I own some Panasonic dvd recorder decks,(E30, E20 & HS-2), and as far as I know,(and I'm no expert), since they're basically digital
    recorders they should record from my digital camcorder exactly the
    same resolution that the camera produced, right? In other words they should produce a picture that's just as good as you would get if you downloaded it on your computer, correct?
    I'm still learning about these products and have yet to know all of
    the specs and resolution terms that they have to offer. I own a Sony VX2000 and Sony claims that their VX can record a picture that's up to 530 lines of resolution. That means that when I download my video onto my HS-2 through a firewire cable, it should also be 530 lines, right? And after I edit it on it's hard drive
    and then burn it onto the final dvd-r disc, that final disc should also be up to 530 lines, if I'm to understand the workings of digital
    products that is.
    By the same token, if I had a camcorder that could record in up to
    600 lines of resolution and then download it onto one of these dvd recorders, they would also record in up to 600 lines, right?
    Thanks for any responses. Tunes Man.

2. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    PAL DVD is about 575 lines or something max.

Only if you record onto your DVD-R using a high bitrate, probably xp mode. The resolution gets less when you use less bits per sec.

To your naked eye, the resolution will look identical, but of course the bitrate on DV is far greater than the bitrate used for DVD. DV bitrate is about 28mb/sec and DVD maximum bitrate is about 10mb/sec.

No, not quite. A DVDs maximum resolution doesn't quite reach 600 lines. Again, in XP mode you'd be hard pressed to really notice much difference.

3. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    "lines of resolution" is a way to describe the sharpness of an analog signal, it doesn't relate to how many scanlines are used by the tv system (576/480).

I think it's determined using a test plate (e.g. avia or video essentials) of alternating black and white vertical lines, where the lines blur together, that is the limit of the source/equipment.

DVD-Videos encode using 720 across, or 704 but this is shown with nothing in the overscan area, so is the same pixels-per-inch as 720.

I'm not quite sure how 720 or 704 digital lines equate to the 500-600 line-of-resolution often quoted for DVD-Video bandwidth though.

regards,
    Rob.

4. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys folks.
    If "lines of resolution" only refers to analogue signals, how come they use this term to measure the new dv camcorders on the market today, which of course are digital, not analogue? I know that I've heard dvd being measured in terms of lines of resolution,
    but I can't remember how many lines they said it plays in.
    As far as pal video recording in up to 575 lines, is that a whole lot different from what it records in here in the U.S.?
    I guess that I just want to make sure that my dvd recorders outdo my old S-VHS video tape recorders. I always record my T.V. shows in XP if I can, and when I archive my home videos to dvd, I always record in XP.
    It would be nice if they eventually came out with camcorders that came close to the resolution of "High Definition" t.v., and likewise
    for dvd recorders, but for now, I guess we'll just have to settle for
    the consumer maximum which is 530 lines, but which isn't bad.
    Thanks again for any replys. Tunes Man.

5. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95

Definately yes.

And yes Lines of resolution of the TV standard applies to both analogue and digital.

PAL 625

NTSC 525

PAL DVD 575

NTSC DVD 480

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Confusion is my middle name:

S-VHS recorders, Standard VHS recorders, both record same amount of horizontal lines......there is no difference.

That's because they work in PAL LAND or NTSC Land where the resolution is 576interlaced or 480interlaced HORIZONTAL lines.
    Horizontal lines create VERTICAL RESOLUTION.

The resolution that you are interested in and the one which all the tv/camcorder/tape deck/dvd recorder manufacturers are talking about is ......HORIZONTAL resolution and is, as has been mentioned, a measurement of the amount of VERTICAL lines that can be recorded then re-played.

Hope this is of some use.

Gordon

7. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Gordon F. I'm confused on your statement that S-VHS recorders and VHS recorders both record in the same horizontal lines with no difference. One of the things that the manufacturers of S-VHS claimed about their product was that S-VHS could record in up to 400 lines or more compared to the 240 lines of standard VHS, and I'm talking horizontal resolution. The picture on S-VHS did look a lot better.
    Another thing that creates more confusion is the fact that I own a
    High Definition television which is capable of producing a picture at over 1000 lines of resolution. Since this is higher that the normal NTSC standard of 480 lines does this mean that I can view
    a picture taken with my camcorder,(which is capable of recording at 530 lines), at the full 530 lines? Further, if I'm to understand some of the replys that I've received regarding dvd recording, my dvd recorder is only capable of recording in up to 480 lines at the maximum bit rate?, or is that the standard ntsc rate of an analogue tv set?
    I know these are a lot of questions, but people have been asking these questions since technology started to improve, and getting the answers through to a dummy like me is a major task!
    Thanks again for any replys, Tunes Man.