1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does DVD player affect sound quality?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Biccy, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may be a really dumb question but as newbie i know v.little & ive had some great advice so far from you guys on other bits so one more question.....will the quality of a DVD player affect the sound i get from films? Im guessing it does, but then again I didn't know if the sound was just a standard signal that i send to my amp through digital co-axial cable & is same from any DVD player. Had planned to get a dvd recorder to play films on but then read somewhere to use a dedicated player at fraction of price to get better results...is this true & is sound affected by better player? Any recommendations for £150'ish or under? Thanks.

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    This is a well debated issue, as a digital connection isnt the same as analog.

the answer is yes there can be a difference but it is very subtle.
    It all depends on implementation, things like if its quartz locked and how jitter is reduced ETC.
    John Dawson (Arcam)did give a good explanation back along on this.
    I believe i can hear a slight difference when i-link is used over optical/coaxel.(but then someone else will say im dreaming)

As for pic quality from a dvd recorder over a dedicated player. depending on how much you spend i dont think a recorder could compete, at the same time its image wont be terrible. Try a side by side demo with units in your budget to see if there is a worth while or acceptable difference.

3. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do, ta. Do stores like Comet set up demo's for you cos im thinking of asking them to show me a couple of TV's too hooked up to DVD players?

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    they should do it, but that probaly wont be the best place to go for a unbiased demo

5. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest, does picture quality vary that much? I've been thinking about upgrading my Pioneer 565 to an Arcam. I only use NTSC prog scan.

Cheers

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    DVD players picture quality does change the higher up you go, unlike sound, a DVD player focuses on picture and lets the amp handle the sound.
    Get a DVD player with good Video D/A converter. it goes from 10 bit 24mhz (cheapest) to 10 bit 54mhz (cheap but good picture) then 12bit 108mhz (what im using) which i think is good enough, but recently there are newer players that offer 14bit 216mhz and HDMI or DVi outputs to get a digital picture at high resolutions like 1080i.

So picture does indeed vary depending on the player and maker.
    Go for Pioneer, Marantz and Denon. (just my favorites)

7. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for advice on sound quality. Just to add to that, can anyone recommend a good DVD player for under £200. As the TV im probably getting only has RGB input im looking for player that has good RGB output quality (guess that means its not relevant about progressive scan quality? not sure)

8. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You mean 27MHz. ;)