• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Does cost of HDMI cable matter

OkUThinkOfAName

Standard Member
Hi,

I have took the plunge and ordered a Panasonic TX-P50VT20B and Sony 3D Blu-ray player. Since this is my first foray into HD never mind 3D I was wondering does it matter about the cost of the HDMI cable?

I mean, isn't HDMI a Digital signal? So it should either work or not, am I wrong?

What can justify the £73 difference between:
leads/sml appliances - Techlink 700202 Wires XS202 2m HDMI cable
and
1.8M HDMI to HDMI Cable - Gold Connectors - For Use: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I'm not a perfectionist(I currently have a LG RZ-42PX11 :) ) but do want a decent image without spending the earth on a cable.

Any advice gratefully received.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
See here ...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hdmi-cables-switches/831330-hdmi-cables-just-facts.html

Your not wrong at all , and concerning these ,

What can justify the £73 difference between:
leads/sml appliances - Techlink 700202 Wires XS202 2m HDMI cable
and
1.8M HDMI to HDMI Cable - Gold Connectors - For Use: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

What we have here is two cables approx 2 meters long , nothing can justify that price difference. Nothing at all.

At that length any mechanically sound cable will work , and when it comes to HDMI , if it works its as good as it possible can be.

Andy8421

I find myself agreeing with my namesake again. The price differential has nothing to do with the performance, or quality of data carried.

There is of course one thing that justifies the price difference, and that is the profit margin of the cable manufacturer.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
For 2 metres - no.
If you ever have a long cable to deal with then ignore the marketing BS, go to HDMI and look at the definitions for graes of cables there.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom