1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does component carry audio?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Vipen, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    i've been digging about trying to get some sound out of my speakers i attached to my PW7 so i could have tv and music on at the same time. alas, i seem to have failed somewhere. first, set-up is

ntl scart > dmr e55 dvd recorder component > dual component board on pw7

didgital sound via optical from dmr e55 to a/v amp

i also have

xbox scart > vga adapter > vga input

vga adapter has phono to audio ins on pw7 too

now say i'm watching ntl through the chain (a/v amp) and i fire up my xbox. i'll hear the xbox through the little speakers.

but i just can't seem to work out how i can get ntl sound through the scart into the pw7. it's only connection to the pw7 is through component via the emr55. digital audio also routed to a/v amp.

is it possible the e55 is taking away an analogue signal and routing it digitally to the amp (even though the amp is not playing it)? or is it just that component signal does not carry audio to the pw7?

sorry it's complicated but it's a nuisance not knowing.

thanx

2. c4lln

c4lln

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think component is picture only, so looking at your set up the pw7 is not being fed any audio from your dvd. is there an audio connection on your panny board? if so i think you will have to connect this either to your dvd or amp.
    regards
    chris

3. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I'm no expert (others on this forum are!) but I know Component doesn't carry audio - it's a video signal! As far as I'm aware, only Scart and HDMI carry video AND audio (other than a set of red/white/yellow phono leads of course).

4. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Dependent upon which NTL box you have (Pace?) you'll need to connect using a pair of red/white phone leads from the sockets at the back of the NTL box into spare audio inputs on your amp and switch to that input on the amp when using NTL.

ALI

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You could take a phono pair lead from the E55 to the component board, there is a phono pair of sockets there for just this purpose. The E55 can remain connected to the amp with digital, it will all work just as now except for hearing stereo audio from the PW7 internal amp.

6. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    cool, thanks for the clarification. my problem (a lazy one) is that i bought this alphason stand with an arm attached to hang the pw7 on. it is now terrifyingly heavy and i don't trust my construction skills when trying to move it.

will do though, man on a mission, lots of football coming up and need music in background to please missus :D

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    you could just buy her a radio and lock her in the kitchen.....wouldn't want music ruining my sport! :D