Does CENTRE speaker have to match front LEFT/RIGHT?

For ported then pb2000/monolith 10" or 12"

Try and get best sub you can, or duals if possible.

The svs cylinders don't take much space up however svs are now expensive, I've had several going back to 2007. They're now no longer the bargain subs they used to be. The sb4000 is almost double the price of my sbu13 and its the same sub. It's good but not worth £2000. The monoprice 13" are cheaper than sb4000,.and with limited use 13" outperform the sb13 for movies.

Svs used to be like Monoprice , internet direct.

I'm running a three sub setup 7.3.4, with two monolith 13" thx ultra and the sbu13 (actually the older version of this sb4000 but pretty much the same) not in situ yet just plonked in the room and connected up.

I'd look at the two monoprice subs that are 15% discount

I would like getting two subs but I don't have the space. I only have the right side of the tv.
Other side is occupied by my Mrs and mum's stuff and the made it clear that I can't move that. Lol.

I'll try to get a good one but if it's not the best I'm not going to complain.

I'll keep exploring.
The xtz does look the most promising but I wish there was no tax and shipping charges.

@joysleep1 if you have your speakers arranged symmetrically around the MLP and no one sits too far to the extreme left or right, then try it without a centre at all. Just set it to ‘none’ in the AVR speaker config and the content will be split between the front L&R to create a ‘phantom’ centre.

In my experience, this is much preferable to a mismatching centre. However if anyone sits too far off centre, voices will seem skewed away from the screen.

@joysleep1 if you have your speakers arranged symmetrically around the MLP and no one sits too far to the extreme left or right, then try it without a centre at all. Just set it to ‘none’ in the AVR speaker config and the content will be split between the front L&R to create a ‘phantom’ centre.

In my experience, this is much preferable to a mismatching centre. However if anyone sits too far off centre, voices will seem skewed away from the screen.

Erm I guess I can try it but seriously the svs Centre is impeccable

I am no expert but I don't feel there is any mis match at all. I was watching the atmos scene on interstellar and sound was brilliant

You can't tell its not a polk speaker at all.

Also my towers are not the best quality where I csn get rid of the centre

Polk s55 are budget towers but good enough for my needs

Erm I guess I can try it but seriously the svs Centre is impeccable

I am no expert but I don't feel there is any mis match at all. I was watching the atmos scene on interstellar and sound was brilliant

You can't tell its not a polk speaker at all.

Also my towers are not the best quality where I csn get rid of the centre

Polk s55 are budget towers but good enough for my needs
Well it’s the end result that counts after all.

Well it’s the end result that counts after all.

Yh.

I think ppl might be fixating on matching speakers but if the centre speaker is decent I don't think it's going to case issues

I'm only going with tv watching. Maybe with music and other home set ups this would be more crucial but in my particular set up there is no issue at all.

OK mono is out of question because the depth comes out too much.

It will surpass cabinet and will look odd.

I'm tossing between the xtz or the bk passover radiator design.

Get the XTZ 12.17 Edge if you can afford it, more modern design over BK and longer warranty with the reliable IcePower amp plates. You could email Mario and ask is there coming any deals soon. Email: mario@xtz.se
@sanjualf had a 1500£ sealed sub and bought two of those XTZs. He is still very happy! There is owners thread too if you want to get more opinions from them.

pb291816-jpg.946312

Get the XTZ 12.17 Edge if you can afford it, more modern design over BK and longer warranty with the reliable IcePower amp plates. You could email Mario and ask is there coming any deals soon. Email: mario@xtz.se
@sanjualf had a 1500£ sealed sub and bought two of those XTZs. He is still very happy! There is owners thread too if you want to get more opinions from them.

pb291816-jpg.946312

OK I couldn't resist.
I just ordered the xtz edge. I hope this is decent.
I was tossing between this or the passive radiator design bk.

I also thought possibly getting the bk monolith and sticking it in the corner of the room out of sight but then I thought I want to see my subwoofer in action.

I also think ported front facing driver is better than port subwoofer downward driver.

Will let you know how I get on.

This sub looks a bit complicated in that it's sealed or ported.
An I supposed to use the foam ports or not?
What's the purpose?

OK I couldn't resist.

I also thought possibly getting the bk monolith and sticking it in the corner of the room out of sight but then I thought I want to see my subwoofer in action.

I also think ported front facing driver is better than port subwoofer downward driver.

What's the purpose?

Plugging the ports lowers the port tune and gives ability to play lower, but at a cost of maximum dB output, increased chance of port chuffing. If the sub allows you to plug both ports then you can convert it to sealed box.

Typically though the sealed box sub version of it will be superior to that of a ported sub that is converted to sealed.

Plugging the ports lowers the port tune and gives ability to play lower, but at a cost of maximum dB output, increased chance of port chuffing. If the sub allows you to plug both ports then you can convert it to sealed box.

Typically though the sealed box sub version of it will be superior to that of a ported sub that is converted to sealed.

So what do you suggest for TV watching and movie experience.
Ports closed or open?

So what do you suggest for TV watching and movie experience.
Ports closed or open?

Subjective question not an objective one.

Too many variables. Plugging ports can help if you want lower extension, willing to lose a bit of spl output, that's fine if you have smaller room as you wouldn't push it as loud. Also plugging port may naturally have drop at just above port tune so if you have some room gain this could be a way to counteract it. But you could use EQ to do this anyway.

Or you may prefer sealed, if you want flatter response, or in a smaller room.

There's no defintitive answer.

When I had a ported sub that allowed it to be ported, I plugged one port (it had three ports) so that changed it from a 20hz tune to 16hz. It was a small room so I didn't suffer any negative consequences of plugging a port. But in a bigger room I probably would. This was from different brand

Need to experiment and try for yourself

The sub also has EQ modes, again try them all. EQ1 is room gain compensation so if you don't have EQ if your AVR, and you get excessive room gain, you can use this to counteract the natural room gain.

"While the EQ “REF” provides maximum depth in the bass, “EQ1” cuts the deepest frequencies to adapt the sound to smaller rooms with high room gain. “EQ2” lifts the kick bass to achieve a punchier bass. "

Subjective question not an objective one.

Too many variables. Plugging ports can help if you want lower extension, willing to lose a bit of spl output, that's fine if you have smaller room as you wouldn't push it as loud. Also plugging port may naturally have drop at just above port tune so if you have some room gain this could be a way to counteract it. But you could use EQ to do this anyway.

Or you may prefer sealed, if you want flatter response, or in a smaller room.

There's no defintitive answer.

When I had a ported sub that allowed it to be ported, I plugged one port (it had three ports) so that changed it from a 20hz tune to 16hz. It was a small room so I didn't suffer any negative consequences of plugging a port. But in a bigger room I probably would. This was from different brand

Need to experiment and try for yourself

The sub also has EQ modes, again try them all. EQ1 is room gain compensation so if you don't have EQ if your AVR, and you get excessive room gain, you can use this to counteract the natural room gain.

"While the EQ “REF” provides maximum depth in the bass, “EQ1” cuts the deepest frequencies to adapt the sound to smaller rooms with high room gain. “EQ2” lifts the kick bass to achieve a punchier bass. "
Oh right OK.

Well I'll be using it with my Denon so I have the audessy doing all the calibrating.

So dunno what kind of eq settings I should be doing. My room is fairly large so have to find the best settings for this.

I guess I have a lot more to learn about this subwoofer.

I really hope I haven't made a mistake.

Since you have a large room I wouldn't plug any ports. I'd leave it on reference.

Since you have a large room I wouldn't plug any ports. I'd leave it on reference.

Yh I guess I'll try that first.

But after I've completed my audessy calibration.

Can I just change the eq settings on the fly of the subwoofer?

OK I couldn't resist.

What's the purpose?

Set the EQ to REF, put one bung in to right side port (when facing sub) and keep the left one open. This is the most often used combination and it will give you plenty of deep bass and slam. The other settings aren`t really needed, well the sealed could be for some rooms but not for you. I think the XTZ will be also more wife friendly and you can always try the corner later if you want bit more grunt (boundary gain). Start where you have the Gemini II now.

Other settings at the back: Set the low pass filter Off, Phase to 0, Manual PEQ to Off, volume knob to 10clock and then run Audussey 3mic positions to check "subwoofer level" that it doesn`t come back -12db cause you have the poor mans Audussey version which doesn`t show the level on-screen. Lower figure in the -11db to -6db range is fine. I think when you finish Audussey it shows you this and you will also find it at menu. This is not same as "subwoofer trim", leave that be.

Set the EQ to REF, put one bung in to right side port (when facing sub) and keep the left one open. This is the most often used combination and it will give you plenty of deep bass and slam. The other settings aren`t really needed, well the sealed could be for some rooms but not for you. I think the XTZ will be also more wife friendly and you can always try the corner later if you want bit more grunt (boundary gain). Start where you have the Gemini II now.

Other settings at the back: Set the low pass filter Off, Phase to 0, Manual PEQ to Off, volume knob to 10clock and then run Audussey 3mic positions to check "subwoofer level" that it doesn`t come back -12db cause you have the poor mans Audussey version which doesn`t show the level on-screen. Lower figure in the -11db to -6db range is fine. I think when you finish Audussey it shows you this and you will also find it at menu. This is not same as "subwoofer trim", leave that be.
OK thanks for that.
Will update when I receive.

My dreams of having a good home cinema is almost there

Now I want yo convince my wife to get ceiling speakers but the look she gave me would lead to a divorce. Lol.
Would love to complete the set up with some height speakers but I can't be asked arguing.

Still excellent sound quality for 5.1 set up

Gosh I just had to pay the 118 pounds import charge.

This is becoming seriously expensive.
I kinda regret purchasing this. I could have gotten the bk passive sub in excellent condition for 400 pounds delivered.

Granted that sub looks a bit boring and wouldn't perform aswell but I reckon it would have been decent enough.

HHopefully the xtz will outperform on another level and will be worth it.

Gosh I just had to pay the 118 pounds import charge.

This is becoming seriously expensive.
I kinda regret purchasing this. I could have gotten the bk passive sub in excellent condition for 400 pounds delivered.

Granted that sub looks a bit boring and wouldn't perform aswell but I reckon it would have been decent enough.

HHopefully the xtz will outperform on another level and will be worth it.

It will be worth it. For the size/price it`s still great product which has been compared to much more expensive and larger subs. Hope you have some good blockbuster flicks to give it little workout!

It will be worth it. For the size/price it`s still great product which has been compared to much more expensive and larger subs. Hope you have some good blockbuster flicks to give it little workout!

Hi Yes

I have a lot of good content to watch which should hopefully make this subwoofer come alive. Delivery is set for Thursday.

I have also got my same builder to diagonally cut some wood exactly the same length and width as my centre speaker so i can tilt it up. (hope this will also help)

I need to spray paint it black.

Once i get this all in position then i can calibrate it and be set . (PS. i wont forgot to swap it so its the right way this time :D)

pb291816-jpg.946312
OT: Gasp, where did you find this picture please?

I mean, I know we're not seeing the entire room, but:

1. That telly looks really small!
2. You can't tell the depth of the TV stand nor the Centre speaker, but I would definitely move the Centre up a shelf if possible.
3. I wouldn't have mounted the Front L&R so close to the TV because it precludes the possibility of getting a bigger screen in future.

I appreciate we all have different needs and it certainly looks neat with everything matching up in terms of alignment, but they haven't left themself much space for possible future upgrades.

2. You can't tell the depth of the TV stand nor the Centre speaker, but I would definitely move the Centre up a shelf if possible.
3. I wouldn't have mounted the Front L&R so close to the TV because it precludes the possibility of getting a bigger screen in future.

I appreciate we all have different needs and it certainly looks neat with everything matching up in terms of alignment, but they haven't left themself much space for possible future upgrades.

Yh see i thought i was being dum but looking at how close he is to the TV, is 2 subwoofers really needed?

The TV looks small too. I feel like the sound would be waaaay better than the picture.

Surely one subwoofer with that kind of room size would do. I mean i have a 15feet by 15 feet and i hoping my 12inch would be good from the listening postion.

Yh see i thought i was being dum but looking at how close he is to the TV, is 2 subwoofers really needed?

The TV looks small too. I feel like the sound would be waaaay better than the picture.

Surely one subwoofer with that kind of room size would do. I mean i have a 15feet by 15 feet and i hoping my 12inch would be good from the listening postion.
Gasp posted that image from the XTZ 12.17 Subwoofer Thread, I think, which is 78 pages long! There's no way I want to trawl through them all just to find this post.

There may be other images posted up from the same user that show more of the set up in their room. I mean, it looks like they're sitting down at the MLP directly facing the screen, but you really can't tell the size of the screen nor the true distance away as they may have zoomed the image.

Having two Subs doesn't always just mean increased output, it smooths the response and makes it sound like your room is full of low frequency, rather than just from one location.

I think it´s the earlier room order of @sanjualf . What i remember he has the system different now, at least the subwoofers are in different places. :) Maybe Sanjualf can comment more.

You can benefit from dual subs even in very small room so one shouldn´t think it as more bass only as the main reason for buying multiple woofers is for getting smoother response with no localization. You might have big holes in the room response and they might not be solved by moving sub/mlp. This is where the 2nd sub comes handy.

I think it´s the earlier room order of @sanjualf . What i remember he has the system different now, at least the subwoofers are in different places. :) Maybe Sanjualf can comment more.

You can benefit from dual subs even in very small room so one shouldn´t think it as more bass only as the main reason for buying multiple woofers is for getting smoother response with no localization. You might have big holes in the room response and they might not be solved by moving sub/mlp. This is where the 2nd sub comes handy.

Hmm fair enough i guess i didn't think of it that way.

Hmm fair enough i guess i didn't think of it that way.
There are three main benefits to going dual:

1. Improved (flatter) frequency response at MLP due to fewer/smaller nulls
2. Higher SPL output capability
3. Reduction/elimination of subwoofer localisation

I went with dual subs for the first time last year in pursuit of #1 but the improvement in SQ from #3 alone would have been worth the upgrade which really surprised me. IMO #2 is the least important.

Also, just because you have dual subs it doesn't mean that you'll get a more even response - for that to happen you have to put them in the right locations. For example, this is what dual subs do in my room if they're both up front like most people have them (this is a REW prediction but the measurement is very similar).

1647341037241.png

To get rid of that massive null from 35-55Hz the subs have to be positioned in the rear corners. Add a MiniDSP and the FR is now extremely flat (+/-1dB) from 18-80Hz.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom