1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does CD drive affect ripping quality?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Ian964, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Ian964

Ian964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I currently have most of my CD collection ripped to MP3 at 128Kb, which was fine for playing through PC soundcard and speakers, and through a Slimp3 connected to a crappy kitchen hi-fi. However, I've now got the Slimp3 connected to the main hi-fi, and the quality is very poor compared to CD.

Having taken the decision to re-rip my CDs to a lossless format (probably WMA lossless), will the quality of CD drive in my computer affect the quality of the ripped files?

I gather EAC will produce bit-perfect copies, detecting/correcting drive induced bit errors, but I think it will take too long (I've got about 300 CDs to rip). I want to use something like WMP 10 for ripping, just don't want to sacrifice quality. It's worth buying a new drive if necessary just for the time saving of ripping with WMP instead of EAC.

2. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I use EAC and still get quiet fast results 7 or 8x. Not sure if it's worth it or not, Cd has a lot of error code built into it already. I would not worry about it if time is an issue, doubt you will be able to detect it.

3. Ian964

Ian964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that - I'll stick with the drive I've got. Might try EAC to see how quick it is - WMP takes about 4-5 mins to rip a whole CD to WMA Lossless.

4. JuJu

JuJu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The CD drive isn't going to effect rip quality but it can effect the possiblity of ripping some CDs. I find I can rip anything using my DVD Writer while my normal DVD reader struggles on some more fancy CDs (i.e. ones that have a PC section of the disc, and play in their own player software).

5. Ian964

Ian964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hadn't considered using the DVD writer, I just assumed it would be too slow. It's a fairly recent Philips - I'll try that as well.

6. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can also run more than one instance of EAC; so you can rip from 2 drives at the same time.

Ken

7. BROUGHCUT

BROUGHCUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A slow PC can sometimes cause problems.

I rip everything at LAME alt.preset.extreme for playing through a stereo, you will be very hard pressed to beat its quality or tell the difference from the original.

Someone suggested going to lossless so you don't have to keep ripping CDs when codecs are updated, pretty good idea if you have the disk space.

Try ripping/encoding using DBpowerAMP and see if it helps, very good sofware. Either straight to LAME from the CD, or to a lossless format and then convert it to LAME from the disk drive using File Selector.

Monkeys Audio is a good lossless format for archiving, seems the most popular.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

8. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    I know it's not the ideal ripper but adding a new DVD burner to my PC allows iTunes to rip from both drives sequentially. It saves you running up and down the stairs as often to change discs. I use iTunes error correction after getting a lot of jumpy rips - it uses about 99% CPU when ripping one disc so I don't know how my 2.8GHz PC would copy with 2 discs at once.

If I'd known that you could use more than one drive when I started ripping my +1000 CDs I'd have had about 4 cheap CD ROM drives in the case :)