Does AVR300 upconvert?

murakami

Standard Member
I am considering to use AVR 300 to switch different video inputs, including

- iPlayer via component (through SCART out);
- PS2 via component;
- VCR via scart to a composite/2phone or s-video/2phono (I do not know whether my old Philips VCR outputs RGB so most probably it is composite via SCART)

AVR300 would then feed Plasma via component. Do you think this would work? In particular do you think AVR300 is able to upconvert a composite or an s-video signal to send via component to plasma?

LFCRules

Hi Murakami,

What you need is page 8 of the manual :), here's an excert from it to confirm you should have no problems in the up conversion:

The AVR300 allows for conversion between different video formats. This means that the AVR300 can convert between composite, S-video and component, if required.
For example, if you are watching a composite input from a VCR, you may view it from the S-video or Component/RGB video outputs of the AVR300. This allows you to use a single (typically high-quality Component/RGB) connection between the AVR300 and your display device.

Cheers

Andy

murakami

Standard Member
LFC thank you for the response, mate. :oops:

once we are asking silly questions, does such looping/switching though AVR300 cause any noticeable degrading in signal quality (at least from from high quality sources such as PS2 and STB via component) such that sending the video signal directly to plasma would be adviseable?

LFCRules

I can't see any in my setup :D

I've got all three component inputs used on my AVR300. One for NTL cable (via RGB to component convertor), one for DVD (DV29) and one for the XBOX 360. Its then sent via a component buffer box to split the component output, one to the PWD8 plasma, and one to the Infocus 5700 projector. Admitently it doesn't do any up conversion in my setup, but as a switch box, it does a damn fine job. And as per the XBOX 360, handle HD video signal easily :thumbsup:

Cheers

Andy

davehk

Several people, me included, are seeing problems with composite to component up-conversion. I get coloured diagonal lines across red/pink/yellow area of the image - so, for example, faces have red and yellow stripes across them.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom