1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does ATI DVD player do surround?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Markus, May 26, 2002.

1. Markus

Markus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a videologic sonic fury soundcard with the aim if surround sound. I have one stereo plugged into the front output and one stereo plugged into the rear output. I am using the ATI DVD player with DVD genie and set the audio to 4 channel downmix but just get the same audio signal coming out of both sets of speakers. I have also tried pro-logic and 3 channel downmix and they don't change anything, the sound signal is the same to both sets of speakers. Is this a problem with the ATI DVD player? Any suggestions?

2. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The ATI DVD player ( at least the last version I used last year) only supports DD5.1 by passing the whole lot to an external decoder.

To decode internally like you want to do you need to buy PowerDVD, or perhaps WinDVD. You need the up-market version of PowerDVD, so it aint cheap, but you get full DTS and DD 5.1, prologic etc. decoding.
    It will run in 2 4 or 6 speaker output mode, and will mix the LFE channel into the front speakers if you don't have a .1 speaker.
    In 4 channel mode it mixes the centre channel into the fronts as well.

I used in 6 channel mode with a sonic fury until a few weeks ago when I replaced it the sonic fury with a delta 410.

3. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So did the Delta improve the sound significantly?

4. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Definitely an improvement, but not as obvious as changing my SB Live! for the santa cruz, the extra speaker management facilities are excellent.