Question Does anything beat the Sonos beam at the price?

indus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sonos BF sale starts tomorrow and I'm in the market for a new sound bar. It's a secondary system as I have a dedicated HT room for big films. As a result I'm not really interested in atmos etc.

So just in terms of sound quality for watching TV, streaming netflix movies and the odd blu ray is there any other soundbar that sounds better at under £400? The BF sale should see the price closer to £350 I hope.

Thanks

Samsung ms650 is cheaper and comes highly recommended with god reviews

After back to back testing over the past few days I think the Sony HT-X8500 is worth a shout in that budget. Sounds excellent, nice and compact and supports most formats. Plus has 4K HDR pass-through.

The sonos BF sale starts tomorrow and I'm in the market for a new sound bar. It's a secondary system as I have a dedicated HT room for big films. As a result I'm not really interested in atmos etc.

So just in terms of sound quality for watching TV, streaming netflix movies and the odd blu ray is there any other soundbar that sounds better at under £400? The BF sale should see the price closer to £350 I hope.

Thanks

Sonos Beam is £329 on Amazon right now and looks like it may be that price elsewhere too. Steal at that price.

Samsung ms650 is cheaper and comes highly recommended with god reviews

Thank you. Techradar describes it as the best all round single bodied bar they have heard, and they tested it at £500. At the moment its £250 on Amazon.
It's quite a bit bigger than the beam but if I jack the TV on some kind of supports it should fit underneath.

Perhaps the Samsung is the class leader in the circa £300 price category....?

Thanks again

Thank you. Techradar describes it as the best all round single bodied bar they have heard, and they tested it at £500. At the moment its £250 on Amazon.
It's quite a bit bigger than the beam but if I jack the TV on some kind of supports it should fit underneath.

Perhaps the Samsung is the class leader in the circa £300 price category....?

Thanks again

yes I would say it is, but I’d also look at the Samsung hw-q60r if you can run to £350 :)

yes I would say it is, but I’d also look at the Samsung hw-q60r if you can run to £350 :)

Thanks. It's actually £335 on Amazon. Is it significantly better than the ms650?

Cheers

Thanks. It's actually £335 on Amazon. Is it significantly better than the ms650?

Cheers

I wouldn't say significant, but with a sub included it is a nicely rounded sound. I'd have a look at the review of it on this site to see if it might work for you. Cheers

I wouldn't say significant, but with a sub included it is a nicely rounded sound. I'd have a look at the review of it on this site to see if it might work for you. Cheers

Thanks. It doesn't come with a sub. Did you mean if you add a sub after? If so would that be wired or wireless?

I've read the ms650 is better sounding than q60r

also few comments on Samsung HW-Q60R Soundbar Review & Comments

although tempted with Sonos Beam on sale price at £330
I have one Sonos Play 1 in dining room and it's good quality

also Sonos items go up year on year, so maybe a better investment?

I would go ms650, but the size is the issue as it's near same size as my tv cabinet

Ok so it's the Beam on the BF sale for £329 vs the ms650 for £250.

Anybody help me decide? Lol

Thanks

Thanks

Depends if you want rear speakers? Just bought 2 One's for rears and on their own they are incredible! Unfortunately waiting on brackets before I can use as rears.

Thanks

on it's own I think from reviews ms650 is very good, probably better than the beam.

however, I have another sonos item, so can play music on both as linked up and the size doesn't really work.

I think if you're going for one bar, no other speakers, have the space go for ms650
it's big in size, but is an attractive finish in my opinion on looks and feel

Depends if you want rear speakers? Just bought 2 One's for rears and on their own they are incredible! Unfortunately waiting on brackets before I can use as rears.

I don't want rears. It's a secondary set up in study/kids music room.
on it's own I think from reviews ms650 is very good, probably better than the beam.

however, I have another sonos item, so can play music on both as linked up and the size doesn't really work.

I think if you're going for one bar, no other speakers, have the space go for ms650
it's big in size, but is an attractive finish in my opinion on looks and feel

Thanks. Head says save £70 and get the Samsung but for some reason heart seems to be saying get the Sonos as I have a soft spot for their products. And it's small size means it'll be a doddle to accommodate.

another way to look at, what else can you treat yourself to for £70 :)

If interested in the Samsung MS650 then you might take a look at the MS750 at Curry's (£270 at the moment). Reviews indicate even better sound than the MS650, and only £20 more.

If interested in the Samsung MS650 then you might take a look at the MS750 at Curry's (£270 at the moment). Reviews indicate even better sound than the MS650, and only £20 more.

good observation

this was £700+

for sub £300 this has to be the best new soundbar option

i'm going sonos to link up music around the home, plus size.

beam is £329 black Friday. richer sounds offering further 10% when bought with a tv :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom