• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Does anyone think movies are going a bit downhill?

I personally think movies are running out of ideas and are just using the easy way by bringing back sequels. I probably wouldn't mind if they were all made by their original creators but most of them are not, do you think it's only money there after now.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Are you referring to Total Recall and Judge Dredd :laugh:

I'm actually looking forward to those, hoping it will give me a little nostalgia - probably be a load of crap :) but it'll be like 90s crap

Yeah some movies are exiting like the hobbit, but you sort of get the feeling that there not what they used to be, for instance a lot of movies rely on pretty boys like Robert pattinson.

Adcook

Distinguished Member
I agree that the time gap between remakes or franchise relaunches is far too short these days, there is still a decent amount of quality original output, maybe you just need to look beyond what your local multiplex is showing. I also think the movies have relied on otherwise talentless "pretty" boys and girls to shift tickets for weak movies for many decades already, the names of them just change.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Are you referring to Total Recall and Judge Dredd :laugh:

I'm actually looking forward to those, hoping it will give me a little nostalgia - probably be a load of crap :) but it'll be like 90s crap

Im really looking forward to those and the expendables 2 :blush:

Lots of films out this year i'll like, just saw TDKR and ted and both were awesome, so no, i dont think films are going downhill.

There are an increasing number of sequels and unoriginal ideas but i still enjoy a lot of them :)

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
Watched the trailer to Total Recall on Saturday and have to admit I was completely underwhelmed by it. Rather than a remake with changes it looks for all the world like a direct verbatim copy of the original, which isn't a bad thing other than midget Colin Farrell playing the lead role.

I don't think movies are going downhill and sequels and remakes will always be made because they are what generate the most money if the first or original film happens to be a stellar success. Music is exactly the same as is gaming.

One remake I am looking forward to and dreading in equal measure is The Evil Dead. It's a classic from my youth and was way ahead of it's time at release (though you wouldn't think it now). I just pray the director doesn't humourise and kill it stone dead. Some remakes should be left at the idea stage...

Yeah, your probably right,I just think there are too many sequels being created instead of new ideas. With sequels I alway get a bit worried if that movie will be created by the same people as before because the original creators know their characters and everything about the movie better than the ones that come after, such as the lord of the rings trilogy and the hobbit. Think people would be disheartened if the movie was directed by someone else, they were almost going to hire Guillermo del toro for the hobbit ( not that he's bad, he's a great visionary).

bosque

Distinguished Member
Yeah, your probably right,I just think there are too many sequels being created instead of new ideas. With sequels I alway get a bit worried if that movie will be created by the same people as before because the original creators know their characters and everything about the movie better than the ones that come after, such as the lord of the rings trilogy and the hobbit. Think people would be disheartened if the movie was directed by someone else, they were almost going to hire Guillermo del toro for the hobbit ( not that he's bad, he's a great visionary).

When has a movie ever been re-made by the orginal creator ?

Jeepers creepers 2,3,spider man 2 and 3, star wars saga, movies like those had sequels that were made by their original creators.

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
they were almost going to hire Guillermo del toro for the hobbit ( not that he's bad, he's a great visionary).

I heard that the Hobbit is now going to be in 3 parts........!!!!!

What in hells name for? It's one book, and not a particularly long one at that. If ever there was a case for a Studio taking the public for a fleecing ride with a film, this is it :thumbsdow

I dont think they would add on a false story after the book apilson so you never know, there might be details in the book that can't be incorporated into one 2 hour movie.

bosque

Distinguished Member
Jeepers creepers 2,3,spider man 2 and 3, star wars saga, movies like those had sequels that were made by their original creators.

A sequel is not a remake. An example of a remake is King Kong, first made in the 1930s and remade in the 70s and in 2005.

Are you saying all sequels should be made by the team which made the first movie in the franchise ?

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Maybe the OP needs to look beyond Hollywoods 'firework displays' because there's been some fantastic films these past few years. The ones I've seen include:

The Artist
Drive
Town
Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy
Inception
Shutter Island
Social Network
127 Hours
True Grit

and foreign language films like
Let the Right One In
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I'm sure people can think of many more.

quarry2006

I think I mentioned Ju-on but I called it The Grudge :)

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
We do - behind your back. ;)
The quality of films varies as trends come and go then some great films come out.
Of course notalgia plays it's part until there is a remake of that.

quarry2006

Point taken!

To go back to your original question, then, it's art vs commerce isn't it; I honestly don't think the situation's any different now to any other time in cinema's history.

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
I dont think they would add on a false story after the book apilson so you never know, there might be details in the book that can't be incorporated into one 2 hour movie.

I've read The Hobbit a few times and it is probably half the size of the shortest of the 3 LoTR's books and I'm probably being very generous there (don't have them to hand, so can't check). They don't need to tack on any false story as it is without doubt the best book in the Middle Earth series that Tolkien wrote and far, far better than the laborious LoTR's trilogy. There is no way on earth that any director could get 3 films out of it without them becoming the most god forsaken borefests since......... well, since the LoTR trilogy which whilst they were admittedly nice to look at, didn't really have a lot of substance imho :cool:

So forgive my scepticism but, this is a cold hard money making excercise for the studio. Why have one when we can have three :thumbsdow I'd much rather have one truely epic film than three turds :rolleyes:

Aside from that though as Captainarchive has pointed out, there have been some stellar films over the last 12-24 months so I don't think the movie industry is struggling just yet :)

I don't think there is much coming out of mainstream Hollywood that's very good or in any way varied, but like captainarchive I think there are still plenty of great independent and foreign language films being produced.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom