Does anyone suffer with eye floaters?

Dragonborn

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've had eye floaters for the past 6 months, I'm an avid gamer and I was curious if any fellow gamers have these and does it distract you from playing video games?

I'm 43 and have quite bad floaters, especially in my left eye. I had an eye test in the spring and my eyesight's apparently fine, and there's not much they can do for the floaters. I think you can get your eyeballs drained and refilled but seriously? F that!
It doesn't affect my gaming, as I only see them with bright white screens like working in Word or with emails etc. But then that's most of the day as I work in IT.

I blame it on being punched in the eyes too many times in the last 7 years of martial arts maybe.

Hi, welcome to the forums :hiya:.

Yes, I have eye floaters and I see them mainly looking at Light single coloured areas such as the blue sky, white walls etc, but during gaming I very rarely notice any. I game in the dark with bias lighting and the only time I possibly see any is when there is a full white/light screen, so no it doesn't detract from gaming at all. I've had mine for years (caused from overdoing push-ups :rolleyes:), and you'll probably notice that although they'll never dissappear, they will fade and be less noticible overtime.

My advice, try and forget them, don't keep looking for them, and enjoy your gaming :).

I think it's detached jelly or matter, you can get them lasered

It's protein in the jelly in your eye. I've had them as long as I can remember and generally forget they are there. As mentioned before it's more visible in office lighting / pic screen on a single colour etc. Harmless tho

Yeah I mean in the sun light or outside they go wild. it's deflating. I really hope I can get over this.

it's caused by the vitreous humour liquifying with age.

when you are young, the humour has the consistency of firm jelly, and as you age, it naturally starts to break down and ends up like thick runny water. this more fluid form tends to slosh around inside your eye, and can over time dislodge the cells in your eye's interior.

it's often accompanied by electric blue flashes in your peripheral vision when you are in a dark environment. these flashes are as a result of the sloshing fluid putting pressure on your retina, which in turn sends a signal to your brain, which is interpreted as the above mentioned electric flashes.

it's totally normal, and everyone experiences them.

you'll also likely notice an increase if you have had invasive eye surgery.

it's usually the mid-late 20's when it starts, so yeah. I'm 43 in a few weeks and I have been experiencing floaters for many years now.

I've heard people suggest the best method is to ignore them and they will go away, but the truth is they won't. your brain will just adapt to them being there and you'll become less bothered with them

It could protean matter e.g. cells/cell debris left over from the eyes developing.
Unless you're a sniper it should only be an annoyance.

Yeah awesome guys, I mean when I do play games I never notice them tbh.
Maybe because of the darkness of the room. I'm unsure, I think the thought of having them is worse then actually having them. As I keep thinking I've got these for the rest of my life.
Gaming is my main hobby, it helps with my anxiety. I wouldn't want to lose that privilege.

Thanks for response but I'm only 27. Would that be normal?

Yes that's normal. I've had mine from a very young age.

What always worries me about mine is they look like strands of the ebola virus when there floating about in my vision!!!!!!

I have a faint one, but one I rarely notice these days. Caused by looking directly at the sun during an eclipse when I was about 20 (yes, I was also stupid)... 19 years later it's not something that bothers me in any walk of life and certainly not severe enough to cause problems with gaming but I know it's there, usually visible in brighter light at certain angles...

I have quite a few, perfectly normal, break down of matter suspended in eye fluid. Dead cells etc.

Dont worry, its all part of ageing. Im 45 and i have aches and pains i never had 20 years ago.

If they are black floaters get it checked by the doctors straight away. Its a sign of something not right.

Yeah went to the doctors. Had a good look in my eye. No retinal detachment or anything serious.
Though u still feel deflated. A friend for life she said .
I'm guessing it does get easier but I have this habit of looking for them and it seems their getting worse or maybe it's psychological.

Yeah, I get them. They don't bother me though. Mine are like see through oval shapes.

Yeah went to the doctors. Had a good look in my eye. No retinal detachment or anything serious.
Though u still feel deflated. A friend for life she said .
I'm guessing it does get easier but I have this habit of looking for them and it seems their getting worse or maybe it's psychological.

You do notice them less over time. I had an increase a few months ago and got it checked out. They were very annoying at the time and I found myself looking for them. Now I hardly notice them unless in lighting conditions that show them up.

Slightly off topic but I was just telling my missus about this thread & she thought I was on about some Apple device for toilets!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom