Does anyone own a Tosh 52WM48P

JohnWin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

My Sagem 50 is shortly going back to Comet (faulty) and with my refund I am seriously considering the Toshiba 52WM48P. I have seen the 46WM48P side by side with the Sagem in Comet and the PQ on the Tosh is IMHO better, clearer, and more lifelike. So I hope the Tosh 52 will be the same but bigger ! ! :clap:

I would like to hear from anyone who already has one, and I need some help with the dimensions (none on the Tosh website)

It comes with its own stand which disguises the speaker ears but I may prefer to use my own to get a better viewing height. So the dimensions I need are:

The width of the bottom of the TV unit itself, inside the 'ears'
The actual useable width of the shelves (in case I have to put my gear on them)
The overall width of the TV including the speakers.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance

John

Have had this set almost 2 weeks now and it just gets better - probably as I have stopped looking for rainbows, smears and dead pixels (couldn't find any of the above) and just enjoyed my dvd's and sky+. It's also quite scary how you get used to the size, as it now seems very normal

In my opinion the stand really compliments the set and friends have commented on that in itself. "It almost floats above it" was one comment :cool:
Here are the sizes you asked for and if you buy from buyyourav you will get it delivered and installed by 2 guys direct from tosh including stand set up and connections etc :)

The width of the bottom of the TV unit itself, inside the 'ears' 42"
The actual useable width of the shelves (in case I have to put my gear on them)35"The overall width of the TV including the speakers.48"

I've noticed that the 52WM48 is no longer on the UK Tosh website.

It used to be on the same page with the 46 - stating that the 52 would be launched in Spring. Now .... nowt!

I'm wavering between the 46 and 52 myself - at present there's only a 300 quid difference so it would be nuts not go for the 52"

Just gotta get my decorating sorted out first (been waiting to get a plumber to re-site a radiator - got one coming on monday - but this has taken over 3 months to get a plumber to commit to the work!).

T.

From what i have seen of the 52 it isnt THAT much bigger than the 46. Unless my living room was seriously big i would just go 46 and put the 400-500 quid towards other things. As things stand the 46 is more than enough for me but then again my living room isnt huge.

The width of the bottom of the TV unit itself, inside the 'ears' 42"
The actual useable width of the shelves (in case I have to put my gear on them)35"The overall width of the TV including the speakers.48"

You sure about the width. The US website states 58" for overall width which sounds about right as the 46 is 53" wide.

Hi Johnwin... What was wrong with your Sagem 50? Which Comet did you buy it from?

I just bought one from Comet, expecting delivery end of next week. I compared the Sagem with the Toshiba 46 & Samsung 50, I brought along a few DVDs with me, including an NTSC composite feed - and Sagem 50 was the best of the 3.

I know it doesn't have HDCP but what is most important was Picture Performance and overall quality (although Tosh46 had the best sound)...

Please let me know what was faulty with your Sagem 50, and which Comet did you buy it from.

Thanks.

Hi

I live in Scotland and bought it from my local Comet.

The problem is described in full on my earlier thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187218

I seem to be the only one on the Forum reporting this problem - so it becomes even stranger.

Comet have a particular process they go through to 'write off' a TV, normally their engineer has to visit to see and report the fault. Within 7 days of purchase a write off seems pretty automatic. Up to 28 days you can still insist on a replacement/refund. After that things can get sticky.

Overall I have enjoyed the Sagem. Although I have found that when I have set TV's up using the THX set up disk, the Sagem doesn't come in line as well as the Tosh or Samsung.

Hope that helps - I am sure you will have a great time with your Sagem.

Cheers

John

Those widths do seem a bit narrow?? :confused: :confused:

Can you confirm ManGina

I have the Toshiba UK brochure for the 46WM48 in front of me and it gives the dimensions in mm 800(H) x 1350(W) x 381(H) - that's roughly 31.5" (H) x 53" (W) x 15" (D). The stand is not included in these measurements but will include the speakers.

The US website (which is much more informative than the UK site) lists the 46" as 31 13/16" (H) x 53 1/8" (W) x 15 1/4" (D). Check it out here:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=46hm84

and the 52" is 35 1/16" (H) x 58 3/8" (W) x 15 1/4" (D).

Hope this helps.

Cheers
KableMan

Hi Dima

I have the Tosh 46. I do get some ghosting with a normal arial feed on terrestrial-though I used to get this on my last CRT TV also. However, I get absolutely none with Sky+ via RGB scart or DVD via component or HDMI.

Stewart

Just out of interest what is the width of the footprint of the 52" Tosh?

neilmcl said:
You sure about the width. The US website states 58" for overall width which sounds about right as the 46 is 53" wide.

Sorry everyone - must have been tired before :blush:
Overall width is 58" aprox
Height on stand 52.5"
Depth is 16" aprox but the footprint is smaller as the "ears" are very thin and that depth is for the main body of the set only - it sort of tapers in to include the central 38" section at the rear only(hope you can picture that?) :confused:

Great - Thanks for that. If I can be a pain :lease: how wide is the section that actually fits on the stand (it looks about 8 inches narrower than the main set)

Also, how are you finding the set? I have only managed to see the 46" version.
Also what equipment are you using? I plan to use a Denon 3910 on the HDMI input, Sky+ on RGB Scart, and Xbox also on RGB Scart.

Thanks

John

John

If I can be a pain how wide is the section that actually fits on the stand (it looks about 8 inches narrower than the main set)I actually got that bit right first time - it's 42" aprox, so you're not far off. :D

Got the 52 after seeing the 46. Loved that one and decided for an extra £300 I could go for the monster. Glad I did as it nows seems average but it was a shock out of the box :laugh:

Schnipps - no the 52 isn't that much bigger than the 46 - 6" to be exact, just like it says on the tin. I don't want to get into mine is bigger/better than yours bull***t - obviously it will depend on your room size, but for £300 (not £400-£500) it was the sensible choice for me. By the way ask your wife/girlfriend just how big 6" is and if an extra 6"would make a difference.... :eek:

I am very pleased with the set but am a bit of a doofus with the inputs. For a long time before this forum( :thumbsup: ) I thought scart was the best there was and had never heard of RGB progessive scan or component :blush:

I have DVD and Sky + into scart1 PS2-scart2 and unmodded xbox in scart3 all with "regular" scart leads - which I'm sure are bottom end and I'm very pleased with PQ - especially with good sky feeds which was a worry as thats 90% of my viewing. I plan to upgrade my DVD player to utilise the HDMI input and may also get the denon 3910 (let me know how it performs please). However I may also wait for HDef DVD. Going to the show at Bristol on Sunday for research :thumbsup:
ps How do you tell if a scart is RGB or not? :blush:

Thanks.
ps How do you tell if a scart is RGB or not?

I'm not an expert but I think any good Q scart will carry RGB, is it simply having the RGB pins connected through?.? I use reasonable Q scart leads (£25) and they seem OK.

may also get the denon 3910 (let me know how it performs please).

I am very chuffed with the Denon, although I haven't yet connected via the HDMI (digital) output cos the Sagem isn't HDCP compliant. I will with the Tosh. One thing I noticed was the sound from it seems much clearer and sharper. I am playing it into the Yamaha 650 and driving KEF Eggs and SubWoof and the room still shakes but in a more discrete way (if that makes sense) Before I had a Pioneer 575 and the Sub seemed full but blurry.
Currently running Denon on Component Progressive Scan into Sagem and PQ is V Good - Had problems setting the Sagem to the THX disk tho and ended up fiddling with the Denon Graph to get good blacks and whites out of the Sagem. Another benefit of the Denon I think.

My final decision on the Tosh is whether to use its stand or my own. Would I be able to fit e.g. the Denon and Yamaha boxes side by side on the stand that comes with the Tosh? (total width about 35")

Cheers

John

My final decision on the Tosh is whether to use its stand or my own. Would I be able to fit e.g. the Denon and Yamaha boxes side by side on the stand that comes with the Tosh? (total width about 35")

That will be close! I measured it at around that exact size so trial and error will reveal the answer - but since the stand is "free" it won't be a problem financially if it doesn't fit... good luck with it , you wont be disappointed :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom