does anyone own a Mordaunt Short MS909 Subwoofer

richie007bond

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys can anyone give me any info on a Mordaunt Short MS909 Subwoofer whats it lowest freq etc, a user review from anyone would be fanstasic, thanks for ur time guys and i look forward to hear from anyone who can make me make up my mind on a purchase..regards..richie:thumbsup:

I have a MS309 and am V pleased with it. I have an aging Yahama sw60 before, so I don't have much to compare it with. Its in my converted cellar which is 15ft x 8ft. The frequencies go low enough for me and has enough slam. I ran the CD that you get against a SPL meter and tried to eliminate the boom as best I can. It has made a big difference overall, one scene for example is from Return of the King where the Battle for Minas Tirth and the elephunts, the bass is amazing.

This isnt a technical review but hopefully will help. But the best way is to hear it for yourself and review it against other subs as well.

I use an MS909 in my lounge for a bit of low end enhancement on both music and movies and i think it's great. It has serious grunt but it can actually play a tune and doesn't just boom and wallow along half a second or so behind the rest of the music, unlike most other subwoofers i have heard.
Notch filter is quite nifty, too..............

Used to have 2 of them. Now down to one but like it quite a bit. If you have the space and you like a little subtlety in your life, it mght be for you but it isn't the last word in the "good god my bowel has exploded" stakes.

Ed Selley said:
Used to have 2 of them. Now down to one but like it quite a bit. If you have the space and you like a little subtlety in your life, it mght be for you but it isn't the last word in the "good god my bowel has exploded" stakes.

Absolutely fair comment :smashin:
Coming from an MS employee, that's refreshing.
That sounds wrong, what I mean is 99.999% of employees of any company won't comment at all :smashin:
I moved from a 309 to an SVS PB10.
Truth is, the SVS is flabby compared to the 309, but the latter didn't have the grunt.
But then there is a big price difference, so that's to be expected.
The ally cones MS use are as tight as errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... something that's very tight :thumbsup:
To answer the original question, I think the 309 goes down to 38 Hz.
I think the 909 is the same
But the 909 should be better with the extra watts and improvements :smashin:

Badger0-0 said:
A
I moved from a 309 to an SVS PB10.
Truth is, the SVS is flabby compared to the 309, but the latter didn't have the grunt.

Are you talking flabby wtih music or in general ? I upgraded the same as you and dont use the sub for music but would never say its flabby with films.

HCK said:
I have a MS309 and am V pleased with it. I have an aging Yahama sw60 before, so I don't have much to compare it with. Its in my converted cellar which is 15ft x 8ft. The frequencies go low enough for me and has enough slam. I ran the CD that you get against a SPL meter and tried to eliminate the boom as best I can. It has made a big difference overall, one scene for example is from Return of the King where the Battle for Minas Tirth and the elephunts, the bass is amazing.

This isnt a technical review but hopefully will help. But the best way is to hear it for yourself and review it against other subs as well.
i love ur converted cellar well done great job,now u can have a place to hide away and watch great films and play games,what more does a man need lol.20 YEARS ago us our fathers had their sheds to get away from the wife and to relax(god bless the 21 century)lol we have so much more...

Dfour said:
Are you talking flabby wtih music or in general ? I upgraded the same as you and dont use the sub for music but would never say its flabby with films.

Yes I mean music.
On reflection, flabby is not the proper word. It's just that I felt the 309 was faster. I have noticed occasions where I thought a bass beat was delayed and not "on the money", if you know what I mean. Maybe it's something to do with my setup. I just never noticed it with the 309.
It's still a cracking sub, mind and no way am I complaining about it :smashin:

I have the MS909W and also had the 309W for a while. Tonally, they sound very much identical (fast, clean), with the 909W moving much more air and digging deeper with greater authority.

However as Ed states, the 909W is not a sub that will shake the house apart with extreme subsonics. Its more analagous to a refined V6 rather than a V8 brute with a missing centre muffler.

I'm quite fond of the digital amps in these and for the money, they're one of the best subs out there.

But as always, let your ears decide what sounds best to you. Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom