Does anyone make an add-on long-throw lens?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bert Coules, Apr 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    After several years of having various projectors mounted rather obtrusively on ceiling-hung shelves in the middle of my viewing area I've begun to think more seriously about the possibilities of moving the projector to the rear wall. This is a distance of some 23 feet from the wall-mounted screen, which is limited by the width of the room to approximately 67 inches wide in 16:9 mode and 87 in 2.35:1.

I believe there are (mainly non-domestic?) projectors which can handle that image size at such a distance, but I wonder if any manufacturer makes a separate add-on lens designed for just this purpose which would work with my existing pj, the JVC X700. I've searched around but not turned up anything as yet, so I thought I'd ask here. Many thanks.

LATER...

I just found this conversation over on AVS Forums. It's from a few years back but presumably still relevant with its comments about add-on lenses of sufficiently high quality being not only extremely expensive but also inevitably cutting down light output.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    None that I know of Bert. I'm sure there are quite a few but not at normal consumer pricing.

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Thanks for that. More searching since I posted seems to confirm what you say. A pity, since the only alternative to a very long throw (if I don't want to keep the mid-ceiling slung shelf) is presumably a motorised lift: tricky to fit and not cheap for a projector the size and weight of my JVC.

4. rjrodders

rjrodders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Check this guys out may have a solution under their projection lens section www.navitar.com

5. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Thanks very much for that. If their telephoto add-on lenses don't absorb too much light or degrade the image in other ways, they do sound ideal for my purpose. And there's mention on the site of a forty-five day evaluation period. No prices, though: I'll have a hunt around for those.