1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Goose74, May 24, 2004.

1. Goose74

Goose74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    How many PJs exist with a native resolution of 1920x1080?
    What is the likelyhood of this becoming affordable? An AE700 anyone?!

2. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    they do exist - but at rather extravagent prices (i think the cheapest ones start at about $15k.. am sure gordon et al will be able to give you more specific prices.

wrt an ae700; i've got the impression lcd is a dying technology - much more likely that dlp/lcos will be the way forward (there is another type that i've missed out there that i cant remember the name of.. :/)

i guess it also depends on your definition of 'affordable' - circa 1-2k might be a fair way off yet but perhaps 5-6k could happen in the next 12-18months?

3. Goose74

Goose74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I haven't heard much about LCOS yet - what are the differences to LCD?

4. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Higher contrast, higher brightness, higher resolution, higher price, etc, etc, etc.

Liquid Crystal on Silcon is the next development of LCD.

The main problem with the technology at the moment is not the price, but the reliability of the panels.
    From what is published, the technology is very seseptable to heat and the panel last no more than 4,000 hrs before you lose 70% brightness.

Apart from that, it's the next best thing.

Off topic, the future for projector is down the DLP route as a DMD panel lasts 2 - 4 times longer than an LCD panel.
    Example - An LCD panel last about 5,000 hours before you notice 70% reduction in brightness whereas the basic DMD chips last 10,000 hrs and HD2's or chips around this spec last 20,000 hrs.
    Like it's been said in other posts, bring the price of 3-chip DMD's down, down, down.....