Does anyone know what these cables are?

sjwomersley

Novice Member
Hi There,

I've found a couple of cables and I have no idea what they are for... One of them is Sony branded and I have emailed their support department to ask what the cable is for and even they haven't been able to shed any light on it for me!

One cable is a Sony RFU-89EA and the other says "ANS-89E" on it (I'm guessing this is also Sony). They both have TV antenna connections but the former has a sort of double antenna connection with a headphone jack in the middle. I've attached some photos.

If you can help in any way please let me know as I would hate to get rid of these cables only to find they're actually useful!

Thanks,

Sam

Attachments

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
It's a RF modulator. It allows a camcorder to be viewed on a TV with a analogue PAL tuner. You simply tune to the analogue TV channel. In the UK to get audio you need to select the PAL I option

sjwomersley

Novice Member
It's a RF modulator. It allows a camcorder to be viewed on a TV with a analogue PAL tuner. You simply tune to the analogue TV channel. In the UK to get audio you need to select the PAL I option
Thanks for the quick reply! Do you know of any camcorder models that would be able to utilise these cables?

I inherited a load of camcorder and photography equipment from my Grandad recently and I know he had loads of Sony stuff through the 80's and 90's. The problem is that I was born in 1992 so I've never really used older tech like this - my first camcorder was a Canon min-DV camera and since then it's all been digital HD!

EricJan007

Standard Member
There isn't much use for this modulator because a direct video connection is always preffered, and this modulator is for connection to the analog tv tuner of a CRT tv.
If you're nostalgic, and you have a CRT tv (Cathode Ray Tube) you could connect a cable/sat box or freeview box, that still has the yellow red white RCA connectors, to the CRT tv, only i guess you have an aspect ratio problem, because the CRT will be 4:3 and transmissions now will be 16:9

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt
Top Bottom