1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know about the Sanyo SU20?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rooikat, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Rooikat

Rooikat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have been offered the above projector for a good price. I watch 99.9999% widescreen DVD's on a Panasonic RV60 Techtronics Player.

Is the projector better/worse than the PLV30?

Will I have a problem with Macrovision?

What is the best way to connect my player to the projector to get best picture?

Many thanks in advance for your replys

cheers.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Worse. Stick with PLV30. No contest for DVD watching. This is a no brainer.

3. Rooikat

Rooikat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Nic, Why do you say that its worse?

I have compared the spec from the Sanyo Website & apart from contrast ratio I could not see much between the two.

Please can I have some "constructive" criticism of the SU20, backed up with reasons why it suck?

regards.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Rooikat,
    The Tech Specs only tell part of the story. PLC SU20 - 1200ANSI lumens (very bright) Contrast Ratio 250:1

PLV30 - 500ANSI lumens (bright enough for home theatre) Contrast Ratio 400:1

The SU20 is designed for PC presentation and basic video replay in fairly bright rooms. This means that colour accuracy, shadow detail and the flexibility of what inputs it can accept take a low priority. The SU20 is designed with pure light power in mind.

It would make a great choice if you want a 12ft image in a conservatory.

The PLV30 is designed with home theatre as a main priority. This means better colour accuracy, more detail in shadow areas (also adjustable with the gamma control), progressive scan inputs for future proofing, more video inputs, smaller, the fan is quieter.

500ANSI lumens is more than enough light to illuminate a 6 or 7ft wide screen, and because the contrast ratio is higher than the SU20 your images will have more impact because there is a greater difference between the blacks and peak whites in the picture.

Unless the SU20 is staggeringly cheap (say under £1000) and you are confident it won't need a new lamp in the next six months I would recommend the PLV30.

Regards

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Rooikat

I sorry I have been away but Chris F has summed it up perfectly. I find black a nd contrast all important. Therefore for a LCD projector colour balance and contrat are very important.

I did allot of rersearch on this. I was initially guided by the AVS forum who see to love very bright projectors over in the states. 2000 ANSI lumens + on a 4.0 screen! It is not necessary for QUALTY home cinema, in fact it is not desirable.

From demonstrations it became very clear that there are two classes of panel projectors:

Home cinema (Sanyo PLV 3O and Toshiba MT1 (can't remember exact number)
    Data projectos for reps presentations

You are after the former, most people will try and sell you the later and claim it is good for home cinema. It is NOT. Listen to Chris F, he is giving good advice.

The Sanyo SU20, is a good projector, it does not suck but it is not designed for what you want it for. In fact I am considering it for work powerpoint presentations etc.

Demo the PLV 30 and Toshiba.

Let us know how you get on.

6. Rooikat

Rooikat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Chris & Nick

Many thanks for your replies.

I too have been away (working awful 4-midnight shifts) so I havent checked this for a few days)

I get what you are saying and it looks like Im back to the PLV30/MT1 drawing board.

Just out of interest, the SU20 was for £500, it was 4 months old (lamp life????) It was in an auction from a bnakrupt comapny. But anyway I didnt get it.

Does anyone know of reputable dealers who interest free credit on these two projectors?

Thanks again guys!

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Rooikat,
    £500 for a 4 month old SU20. I think the liquidators should be fired for under valuing assets.

Are you sure it was kosher? I mention it because Sanyo had some loan stock stolen from their Leeds depot about 6 weeks ago. Quite a few SU20s went. Some were traced and and there has been an arrest, but there are still some floating around. Just a word of caution.

Regards

8. Rooikat

Rooikat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris, it was an internal auction, the goods were definetly kosher.

It was one of those auctions where they tell you what all is going to be auctioned off. And they have a secretly prearranged figure in their heads of what they want for the whole shooting match.

Then you make your bid on the item you want. Then they total up all the bids and if that figure matches up with what the creditors wanted, then you get the goods. Otherwise EVERYTHING is auctioned again. The actual prices for individual items are irrelevant. (stupid way of doing it but there you go)

Ahh well, back to trying to justify £2000 to the wife, I must be geting carpet burns from all the grovelling. :D