Does anyone here use a pro/public display (edgeless display) as HDTV?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Nielo TM, Aug 25, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    I’m thinking of purchasing a public display (like this for example) to be used as entertainment display in the future.

The reason being is that, it doesn’t contain any image enhancing, dynamic contrast etc… Therefore, it’ll display more natural image then a HDTV such as the Sony BRAVIA. And it’s also PC friendly, which means its HTPC ready.

Anyway, if anyone has this, please let me know how it performs. Thanks.

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I know that people in the Plasma forum do it quite a lot, but they basically get the same panel minus the processing. LCD ones tend to be rather poor, unfortunately - that only has a 600:1 contrast ratio, for example. The BRAVIAs are 1300:1 and the new Sharps coming out next month are 1500:1. You also tend to miss out on good deinterlacing performance too. (most people pick up a scaler/processor to go with them)

The BRAVIAs in particular do very little to the image unless you want them to though, with the only real exception being edge enhancement. (which just about any display does) Their scaling is a little soft, but that's better than being overly sharp and exaggerating artefacts.

After spending a year hunting for an LCD, I gave up, and have ended up sticking to the 17" Sony LCD I bought to hold me over (during that time my main TV died) and picked up a Toshiba MT200 DLP Projector. (which looks better than any of the LCDs I've had)

3. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    S-PVA is superior to S-IPS in terms of black levels, viewing angle, contrast ratio, compressed and film to digital transferred videos.

The reason I need LCD because its going to be active for long time and all the scaling (Sky and DVD) will be don’t by the PC.

The component will only be used for X360.

PS: The BRAVIA has true CR of <1200:1 and the NEC has below 400:1.

4. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    bump lol

5. azirath

azirath
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wondered about this myself at some point, as all inputs to my TV goes through my HTPC, making the TV's scaling and de-interlacing unnecesary and in fact counterproductive.

Not to high-jack the thread, but are there any interesting public displays in the 42+" and 1080p range? (currently considering the Amoi Elite, or maybe the new 1080p LGs coming soon). Are the panels of the same quality and refresh rate(for LCD's) as their 'normal' counter parts?