Does anyone here regularly take aspirin?

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
Small daily aspirin dose 'cuts cancer risk'

Seems like a medical minefield to me. Take aspirin to reduce the risk of some cancers, but increase the risk of major internal heamorrhaging. I'm not one of those who is stuck between a rock and a hard place over taking it as the last time I took and aspirin I ended up bent double in pain. Not a good effect for a pain killer! So I just stand here on the outside of the debate watching various arguments for and against.

Personally I tend towards the argument that the case is far from being won. The proven bad effects are there as a matter of fact, but the case for the benefits out-weighing them still has a long way to go before they are set in concrete. There seems to be no discussion about lifestyle comparisons amongst the two groups. It seems to me that if you care enough about your health to take 75mg of aspirin everyday you are far more likely to eat well and consult your doctor about potential problems. This alone would make detecting and surviving the cancers under consideration a lot more survivable. I suppose some work must have been done, but it would be nice to see it discussed.

So, what is the general consensus out there? And more generally how much effort does anyone put into preventative healthcare?

gus607

Been taking 75mg Aspirin for years, after advice from a hospital consultant re high death rate in the family due to cardiac problems at an early age.

My dad died @ 44yrs & mother @ 51yrs. Up to now Iv'e beaten em both !

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Unless there is something wrong with me and symptoms need controlling, I avoid medicines. Although they say prevention is better than cure I believe we don't know enough about the effect of long term use of chemicals in the body and as I result I err on the side of caution. I should do more about personal fitness and weight; that should be the best "medicine"!

Sonic67

Banned
I do sometimes as I'm short of a protein in my blood and it means I'm more prone to DVT. Before or after a flight or long journey I might do it.

travid

I suggest that you would have to consult with your GP if you are not already prescribed asprin for a pre existing medical condition.

Perhaps even an LFT (Liver Function Test) before use?

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
Been taking 75mg Aspirin for years, after advice from a hospital consultant re high death rate in the family due to cardiac problems at an early age.

My dad died @ 44yrs & mother @ 51yrs. Up to now Iv'e beaten em both !
My Dad is diabetic and I believe he takes soluble aspirin daily.
I think in the case of pre-existing heart disease or perhaps a family history of similar, then yes, the case is quite well established. I was wondering more about the wisdom of taking it as a preventative medicine when the risks of adverse affects are so well documented. There is an army of middle aged people out there self administering aspirin so there is a huge body of evidence with which to work, but is the evidence skewed? If you take aspirin are you more likely to look after yourself, which means a lower risk of some types of cancer? Are the researchers looking at a body of evidence that is not representative because that group are more likely to catch those particular cancers early? And therefore have a higher survivability.

I have been on statins for a couple of years now, one of three drugs in a classic 'protect the heart' regime, (not that I have any sign of heart disease), and although the statin I'm on doesn't seem to have any adverse side effects, I will be on it until I drop. So I've done some background reading and it does seem that the case for statins is nowhere near as strong as people seem to believe. Couple that with known side effects and I do wonder if I should live with a higher cholesterol level and modify my diet.

I guess the whole thing boils down to life being on big experimental playground for the researchers and statisticians and we are the guinea pigs.

But they keep promoting aspirin and that is a drug that wouldn't even make clinical trials if it was discovered today.

Hopalong

Novice Member
I've been taking 75mg for four years now since I had my :oops: I have really poor circulation on my right side although I have to stop it when I have operations as I just don't clot properly because of the aspirin. To be honest I used to be great at healing I would cut myself accidentally of coarse and then heal in know time. Now if I get a cut it will take weeks to heal. I'm convinced it's down to all the meds I'm on.
Before my accident I wouldn't even take a paracetamol if I had a headache I would just lay down in a dark room for a bit. Now I rattle when I walk:D
Don't really like it but don't have much of an option.

Keiron

How many mg are there in a regular aspirin tablet and can you get tablets of the mg they recommend for fending off cancer and heart disease?

guest5234

Novice Member
I've been taking 75mg for four years now since I had my :oops: I have really poor circulation on my right side although I have to stop it when I have operations as I just don't clot properly because of the aspirin. To be honest I used to be great at healing I would cut myself accidentally of coarse and then heal in know time. Now if I get a cut it will take weeks to heal. I'm convinced it's down to all the meds I'm on.
Before my accident I wouldn't even take a paracetamol if I had a headache I would just lay down in a dark room for a bit. Now I rattle when I walk:D
Don't really like it but don't have much of an option.
Much much better to bleed easily than clog up really quick, much less of a chance of a heart attack stroke etc if your blood flows easy.

gus607

How many mg are there in a regular aspirin tablet and can you get tablets of the mg they recommend for fending off cancer and heart disease?
Don't quote me but I think a "normal" Aspirin is 500mg. Yes, you can buy 75mg over the counter.

scartlead

Much much better to bleed easily than clog up really quick, much less of a chance of a heart attack stroke etc if your blood flows easy.
Suppose it depends on the type of stroke though

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
I take one soluble 75mg tablet of aspirin once a day. I take it every morning with a large mug of tea and a slice of toast to prevent any stomach problems. The aspirin is dissolved in a little water and taken just before the tea and toast.

Been taking aspirin for a number of years now and it is not prescribed by the doctor. I take it to thin the blood a little to prevent clotting. I take no other drugs.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I avoid all medicine until I really need it. Give it a few months and there will be another report saying Aspirin will turn your brain to mush is you have it on a Thursday.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom