1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone have one that fits (See message)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by petrolhead, Jan 3, 2004.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Strange title I know BUT

It seems, from reading people comments on this forum and others, that screen manufacturers sem very poor when creating a 16:9 white area on their screen ie the PJ picture normally overlapps somewhere.

Does anyone have a screen when the pictures fits perfectly within the white area and if so what make?

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Mostly the screens are correct, and the overspill etc is down to minor inaccuracies in the projector installation.

The American screen companies work to measurements of 1/4 inch (about 6.4mm) for screen dimensions. NOTE: These are not accuracies though, they are usualy down to about 1-3mm, which you will struggle to notice.

:)

3. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If your PJ has blanking facilities then you should be able to trim the picture to fit the screen.... (as long as it is geometrically correct)

4. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Posted earlier but seems to have disappeared. :confused:

I've only got a Draper Luma 92", which I believe is a relatively cheap screen. There is no overlap, although I think the projectors adjustments help to get it just right i.e. horizontal and vertical lens shift.

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    You are lucky Monkeyboy.

My first screen was a Luma 92 and the picture overlapped by 2cm on the RH side.

You also have lense shift which must help

6. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know Pete has been having some issues with his picture geometry, and I am not suggesting for a second that his installation is less than perfect, but I think there is a lot in what Retro has to say.

I found that I had to place my Sim2 absolute dead centre of the screen otherwise if I compensated with even a small left/right angle adjustment I would get a trapezoid effect and get overspill in one or two corners and an image that was not exactly parallel along the horizontals. The vertical, I was able to compensate with lense adjustment.

Saying all this, I do have a gap of approx 1 inch at the top of the screen which gets me wondering if my screen is exactly 16:9. . . .
    :eek:

Steve.

7. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Point taken Steve and maybe I should do some measuring with the image on the wall 2" behind the screen to check to see its actually 16:9

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    I found that just a small amount of innacuracy with placing the pj dead center can cause odd image geometry problems. A slight amount of twist either way would leave the top of the image square with the screen, but the bottom would go down slightly in one corner.

I also found the screen was flat to the wall, but the wall wasn't flat, so I had to make a couple of minor adjustments, and then everything became square.

Add to the fact that not all films are pure 1.85.1 or 1.78 to one doesn't help. :)

Gary.

9. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Mine fits fairly well, may be max 5mm of overspill towards the bottom right corner, most likely because the alignment is not 100% dead centre. Most of the cinemas I've been to have so much over-spill that I think being able to minimise this at home is a real luxury!