Does anyone have experience with the Akasa Nero 1366 cooler?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by supergeek, Jun 14, 2009.

1. supergeek

supergeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    can it be installed without taking the motherboard out? currently have a p6t deluxe v2 with the stock cooler

2. anothadave

anothadave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    according to custompc the akasa nero has push pins similar to a stock cooler... they say "mounting the nero on LGA1366 is a doddle" lol.

you can see the mounting pins quite well on this website about halfway down

Akasa Nero (AK-967) CPU Cooler - Printer Friendly version

so yes id say you can upgrade without removing the motherboard. at idle the akasa was 1c better than the stock cooler, but under load it was 22c better! so you should see a nice improvement. also consider picking up a tube of high quality thermal paste such as artic silver. good paste can also drop temperatures a couple degrees too.

3. supergeek

supergeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    thanks for the reply, ive never installed a cooler before so i don't know what 'push pin' means. I know thats an easier method then the backplate method, but what does push pin exactly mean? Do you just 'push' the cooler into the hole and then it sticks? or do you have to twist the pins? how exactly does it work lol?

thanks again

4. anothadave

anothadave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    its exactly the same as the standard cooler fitting. i took it from your question you had already built a system with the stock cooler and didnt want to take the motherboard out to replace it. or did someone else make it for you? its pretty much self explanatory, u push the pins into the board an they lock into place. to remove them you twist them and they unlock. dont worry, they come with instructions! :p

5. supergeek

supergeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    lol ive installed quite a few parts myself, but not the cpu/cpu fan. How does the exisitng stock fan come off? Do you have to unscrew it or will it just pull off? Is this the best 'push pin' fan you can get or are there better ones on the market?

promise to leave you alone after that last one :D haha

6. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,362
    Yes

Basically yes. You just align the four pins to a specific direction shown in the install instructions and push them into the holes one by one diagonally opposite until they click in place i.e 10 o'clock, 4 o'clock, 8 o'clock, 2 o'clock . The last one is usually the hardest to get in so make sure it is one you have enough room to apply a lot of pressure on.

The cooler is very large and needs a widish case for it to fit. Also you will need to buy some thermal paste as there is none pre fitted on the bottom of the cooler. I'd recommend Artic Cooling MX-2 as it's non conductive and thus you don't need to worry about it getting where it shouldn't...

It seems to do it's job and touching my Nero when the processor is at 100% (49C to 54C core temperature depending on the core) it's barely warm to the touch. The fan turns below 500rpm at idle.

7. supergeek

supergeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    thanks, will i need alcohol to remove the current thermal paste or will it just wipe off? oh and the case is an antec 902, that should be ok right?

8. Misk0

Misk0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    902 is fine, have the same setup. I have applied MX2 this weekend after forgetting to order thermal paste when I got the kit. So far haven't see any difference comparing with what came with Nero.

Make sure you attach fan to Nero AFTER you install the cooler, otherwise it can get tricky. Still easier then removing one . You have to twist the pins but it's explained nicely in the manual. I tend to push two at once, diagonally.

Alcohol and clean cloth will do the trick.

Misko

edit: If you have a side fan and if you set Nero to blow up towards the big fan, you may have to cut one corner of a side fan to fit everything.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  9. anothadave

anothadave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    dont go nuts with the thermal paste either.lol. a lot of people think more is better but having too much is just as bad as not enough. just a thin layer covering the cpu is fine. its job is to fill in the microscopic pits in the surface of the heatsink and cpu so theres a perfect contact between them. so just a pea sized blob spread with an old credit card should do the trick