Does anyone have an alternate white point for 2016 LG OLEDS?

JimPap

Standard Member
I've tried to calibrate my 65B6 using my Klein K10A profiled off of a CR250 and find that grayscale appears reddish (but probably a combination where red is the most dominate).

So next step was to use a perceptual matching approach using a calibrated LED computer monitor. Its closer but still not right. What's odd is the brighter portion of a split grayscale pattern looks o.k but the darker end appears reddish. This is using Calman enthusiast level calibration software.
With calman, red, green and blue converge on the grayscale chart....its just what I'm seeing on the B6 doesn't agree.

Seems that I have a couple of problems happening but I came here to see if anyone had alternate white point settings for a 2016 LG OLED they'd be willing to share.

Many thanks.

AndreiNR

I don't think you'll get much help here so I suggest to go on the calibration area on the avs forum.

Still, your meters combination is a very good one so I don't think that the issue is with them.

I strongly suggest to leave CMS alone or use sparingly and the same with luminance controls.

Also, the laptop screen used for perceptual matching might be the one that't poorly adjusted.

ChadB and others have tried different formulas like Voss for example which is recommended for Sony OLEDs but they 've found that standard formula gives the best results.

Don't add to lower wb (cutts) as that might give a reddish hue to lower end. Only extract if necessary.
Also, disable auto dimming "feature" in the service menu or use full fields insertion feature in Calman

In the end, there will.always be some variances between sets and technologies so chasing perfect charts might be futile. You might as well use your eyes to do minor corrections.

IMHO these sets don't calibrate as well as some might have suggested over time. Yes, you can get perfect charts but, especially with darker tones and skin tones they are not very accurate in real content.

Hope that helps.

JimPap

Standard Member
Thanks for responding AndreiNR.
I've posted the same question over on AVS and with a lot of views, not a single reply.
Seems that calibration at our level hasn't kept up with the hardware.
Although I can get a fairly neutral split grayscale by the eyeball 2 method, there is that nit where something doesn't look quite right. I know part of this is that the screen on my B6 isn't totally uniform when off center a few feet to where I normally sit/slouch.
If I don't get any answers, I'll probably go back and retry a perceptual match. The data from an earlier attempt got lost when reinstalling Calman to get it to work after Spectracal had made some changes.
Even though I have what I'd consider a very good picture, I always think it can be better. It really does look better than the 64F8500 Samsung and the 65VT50 I've had/have.
If I get any useful information from over at AVS, I'll post it over here.

Edit: One thing that I've been thinking about regarding the CMS, is are those who try to use it getting strange behavior because the white point they're using is off? I recall when I have use a modified white point from the perceptual match method, the saturation sweeps were much closer without any adjustment.

Last edited:

AndreiNR

Here's a chart of my B6 with standard observer and calibrated with D3 paired with i1pro2.
That's without touching CMS.
Measurements taken offscreen and windows patterns. ASBL off in service menu.
20161113_033000.jpg
20161113_034804.jpg

JimPap

Standard Member
That looks great.
When displaying a cross step gray scale pattern, are you seeing any color shifts?

More specifically, does it look slightly yellow either in patters or on content?

Last edited:

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
This isn't exactly a cheap option, but if you have money to burn you might consider driving the TV with something like a Lumagen RadiancePro processor. It can apply a LUT to the input signal that interpolates between anything up to 4,913 different points across the whole colour space - so it slightly massages the input signal in order to get the TV to produce a precisely calibrated output.

There may well be a somewhat less expensive device that can do the same thing, I don't know. (I'm quite sure there will be for 1080p signals, not sure about 4K).

Lumagen

JimPap

Standard Member
I don't think that would help with the problem of metameric failure. You'd still have to know x,y for white to look white.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom