1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone have a widescreen monitor ?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Springer 1, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Springer 1

Springer 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this is a repetitive one but I would like to get a PC/ LCD TV widescreen say 17 inch or 19 inch but there does not seem to be a lot of choice when it comes to gaming due to the response times. My CRT is on its way (case splitting etc) and need a replacement - does anyone have a decent monitor that fits my description they could recommend I take a look at ? :lease:

2. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no help here, but, you'd assume most widescreen monitors would have good response rates considering most people will want them for media play back and gaming. It seems a bit odd that they aren't that responsive.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I've heard the bets value out ther eat the moment are the dell ones but they ugly things. The Apple cinema screen moniotrs are next but they suffer from some quality issues and need to be run at fairly high resolutions ( a problem if your rig won't play the latest games at a high enough panel res.

4. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The Dell 2005 monitor is nearly £200 cheaper - £472 vs £699 for the 20" Apple Cinema so looks aren't everything. From what I've heard the Apple is more reliable. I think, but don't quote me on this, that both displays use the same panel but Apple has better quality control. Also the surface of the ACD screen is supposed to be protected better with a less reflective, stronger layer. In the Dell's favour, the apple only has brightness control on the PC. Only Mac users get to control other functions like colour, contrast etc. So it looks like quality and style vs nice and cheap. Those Dell's don't look too bad to me... :D

Anyway for a bloody long thread on the Dell try:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=830031

That should keep you occupied for at least a couple of hours :D

5. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Samsung Synmaster 17" TFT widescreen, and I love it, use DVI connection from 9800 pro (soon to be X850XT) and I play Halflife 2, Doom3, C&C Generals, DFBHD + Joint ops and Fary Cry and I have had no problems whatsoever. :hiya:

6. Springer 1

Springer 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice chaps. The Dell monitor certainly is getting good reviews, good price too. Anyone got experience of Iiyama Prolite C480T 19 incher ? Their site says it can do 16:9 but the screen is not advertised as a widescreen whereas its 17 incher is. Also 16ms response looks good and has tv tuner.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Most screens can do 16x9 , its referring to it being able to handle the res not necessarily the actual aspect ration of the screen ie : black bars on a 4x3 screen.

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Computer monitors tend to be 16:10 and not 16:9 ratio, both in pixel count and physical size.

For example, my two widescreen monitors -- Sony GDM-FW900 (best CRT ever made) and Apple 30" Cinema Display (best LCD ever made) -- are both physically 16:10 ratio.

Many games have supported widescreen options for a long time, and latest games support different ratios (e.g. Doom3 and Half-Life 2 support 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10 ratios).

I've been gaming in widescreen for years, and it's the only way.

StooMonster

9. Springer 1

Springer 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dell in the US are advertising the response time of this monitor as 12ms but in the UK 16ms. All other details remain the same. Do we get second rate stuff in the UK or is there some kind of advertising rule ? US forums are raving about this monitor for gaming but just wondered why UK refresh rate is higher.