Does anyone have a link to a list of hard disks that can be used with TIVO?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Stevie G, Jul 31, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks!

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could be wrong, but I think you can use just about any IDE drive. To be safe, you'd probably want to stay as close to the original as possible. (the Quantum Fireball that it uses as a default is manufactured by Maxtor, I believe)

The original drive is 5400 rpm. Since the TiVo is pretty well optimized anyway, don't expect to get much (if any) benefit out of a faster drive. (but definitely don't put anything slower in) I think some people steer clear of faster drives, because they are usually louder.

From what I've heard, most people have been using either Maxtor or Western Digital drives. I'm using a Maxtor 7200 rpm 120 GB drive with 8 MB cache and I haven't had any problems. (but I haven't noticed any speed increase over the original)

3. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks. I've got a spare Maxtor 120gb 5400rpm, so I should be able to use that then when I get a Tivo (if I can snag one!)

Just out of interest, do you know how to fit a second drive? Do you have to buy a bracket or something for it to haev two drives inside?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    For full instructions on upgrading your TiVo go to www.tivocommunity.com
    Upgrading drives is a very common subject, and there is even a dedicated area for upgrades. You can download the TiVo software that needs to be installed on the drive and if needed get help with any problems. :rolleyes:
    Some TiVo's will already have 2 drives installed. In this case you will need to remove one of them. If it has only got 1 then a second can be added and you will be pointed to places that you can get everything you need.

The favorite drives for upgrades at the moment seem to be Samsung, as a lot of people with Maxtors have been reporting drive failures.

Mark.

5. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks....!