Does anyone get bored of gaming?

Sega Mega Dave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General question does anyone else get bored of gaming?

I've been playing a lot lately and i find myself now struggling to put more than an hour together.

I'll start thinking i'll have a good session but within 15-20 mins i'm bored and ready come off go watch a film or something.

Today for instance i've had plenty of time but every time i went to game i did something else, finally started Skyrim, less than 30 mins in i was bored to death.

Just been on BF3 for an hour and was forcing myself to play.

Does anyone else get like this? It's been like this for a while but BF3 freshened it up a bit. Now i'm back to bored again.

There are the odd times where I don't seem to be in the mood to play any of the games I have but there is often something new to do or something new to play - especially with all of these sales!

It also comes down to how much time you have, at the moment I haven't got much spare time so gaming is my escape.

I do know others who have become burnt out from gaming and gone for a long break - Razor being one.

After almost 28 years of gaming, I do get bored occasionally. These days I finish on average one game a year between the PS3 and PC. I have pretty much given up on the big boring franchises like the battlefield set and MW. They have no story and for me, it is only story that draws me out of real life and into a game. Majority of modern games have less and less focus on story and more on multi player and pretty graphics. The only real consistency over the last few years is that I have played all Total War games and most of the Bioware however Dragon Age 2 got so clichéd and dull that I stopped playing.

The other reason for boredom is what I call the "dumbing" down of gaming, specifically making gaming as console friendly as possible. As a finance professional, I can understand the business thinking behind it but as a gamer, the "simplified" UI and more accessible game play is less than intellectually stimulating and frankly dull.

I get bored of not gaming.

I'm the same now as I've gotten older, I'm not as into it as I used to be, I don't get the kick I used to when I was younger either, shame really :(

I think I'm turning into Victor Meldrew lol

I got bored for over a year and I realised why, it was kids that were doing my head in on consoles. Now back on PC and playing with older crowd seems much better. Also try and mix up kind of games you play

It's getting to the point now where i've weighed up selling the lot and investing in something else. I find myself doing it for the sake of it more than the enjoyment.

Makes me think is it worth having all this kit sitting here if i'm not really wanting to play. On the other hand selling it would see a massive loss.

you cant sell it all cos you would miss the gaming after awhile.I have been gaming since the speccy and c64 and vic 20 were out so that is at least 25 yrs of gaming. i go through stages as welll but i know that if i sold up i would miss it all and the missus would give me grief if i wanted to build another pc at a later date

I'm 32, been gaming since I was 5 starting with 3D Monster Maze on zx81 :)

I ain't got bored yet, it's my passion, my escape etc....

Moved on to c16+4, vic 20, commodore 64, nes, amstrad cpc464, amiga, handhelds inc game and watch's, snes, megadrive/cd/32x, philips cdi, saturn, dreamcast, playstation1/2, xbox, 360 (pc somewhere in 95), ps3, game cube, wii, 360....and now mainly pc.

tris

Last edited:
The worst part is i have a top of the range imac boxed in the hallway, i was even tempted to pull that out ditch the pc and use it as an average game machine.

I feel dirty. :D

It's getting to the point now where i've weighed up selling the lot and investing in something else. I find myself doing it for the sake of it more than the enjoyment.

Makes me think is it worth having all this kit sitting here if i'm not really wanting to play. On the other hand selling it would see a massive loss.

It's because you played over 70 hours of BF3 in one week! Ration it man... anything done in excess is dull after a while.

I would classify myself as a seasonable gamer playing mostly in our 'indoor and dark' autumn/winter nights..but even then is it casual gaming of a few hours here and there.

I think I would get that bored feeling that Dave refers to if I was gaming for long hours but I suppose that feeling in my case is more guilt for not spending some of that time doing something more productive or for not spending it with family/friends. Case in point is in the summer when I just can't be indoors if it is sunny or even dry outside as I would feel guilty for not making the most of the sunshine and all that goes with it....

... But I do think PC gaming is a great pastime and gives great enjoyment and experiences that you might never experience in reality and is the modern subsitute for reading a good book and the escapism that experience brought previous generations. I suppose everything in moderation is the key though. :thumbsup:

It's because you played over 70 hours of BF3 in one week! Ration it man... anything done in excess is dull after a while.

Hahaha yeah there is that.

I only get bored if I don't have an SP game to play and no one is online for multiplayer. I can play BF3 with other AVF guys and guys from my clan until the cows come home and won't ever get bored. Playing on my own with randoms in multiplayer would get a little boring.

Recently I have been going through phases of being totally bored silly of gaming. This year has been particularly bad for me with only sandbox games (dead island and Saints row 3), portal 2 and bulletstorm holding any interest for me. I seem to of totally gone off first person war shooters which a few years ago were one of my favourite genres. Maybe I am getting old or maybe most games are rehashes of what has gone before, I really dont know which it is. When I get gamed out I leave it alone for a while and wait for a game that grabs me before I return.

Recently I have been going through phases of being totally bored silly of gaming. This year has been particularly bad for me with only sandbox games (dead island and Saints row 3), portal 2 and bulletstorm holding any interest for me. I seem to of totally gone off first person war shooters which a few years ago were one of my favourite genres. Maybe I am getting old or maybe most games are rehashes of what has gone before, I really dont know which it is. When I get gamed out I leave it alone for a while and wait for a game that grabs me before I return.
It's the latter mate, the industry really has stagnated with innovation. Looking at the release calendar just shows this with the vast majority of games being sequels

Yes, I don't bother with pc gaming at the moment, having played since CS, BF, CoD1. I updated my steam games last week for the first time in several months, but haven't played any yet, still haven't particularly got the inclination, but tbh these days I only really get a kick out of it if having a mini lan bash at someone's house.

I'm early 40s, so older than some of these folks who think that they're old ;)

eiren said:

I think this is a major point. Sometimes things just fall into place, kids out, missus put with mates and you get the chance for an epic session. Or like me, **** off to Cornwall for four days of bf3 gaming then come back and don't touch a gaming pc as you are still suffering flashbacks :)

I have been a pc gamer for 20 years now, and doubt I will ever give it up - its my escapism much like the missus watching soaps. Yes I have days where I seem to be researching games rather than playing them, but this passes and I play again. With steam it's easy to check, 20hrs is a 10 rating over two weeks, but if you are cramming more than two hours a day for two weeks then leave it, spend a few nights watching tv or read a book, then come back.

For the love of god, don't sell your rig. I guarantee as soon as you have sent it to a new home you will glance at the empty space with longing. :)

Yeah, I go through phases where I struggle to get excited. But I have just built a new rig so I'm like a little kid again :) I'm 38 :(

I must admit im strugling to play BF3... thats become quite boring but Karkand will change that

I cant say i get bored of gaming as i go away for insane amounts of time so when im home like now i try to get it all in while i can...

Think yourself lucky! you get the time to play all these games :smashin:

I do not get bored of gaming, but then again my time is limited to play.

I get bored quickly of most games, but I do not get that bored of gaming.

I tend to play multiplayer games, that have high replay value and always have you learning more to be better, that is what I find addictive, is the improvement in my own playing, competitiveness.

Most single player games I find I am bored with very quickly, a lot of them are very well put together, but it all seems very staid. How many times can the orphan with no memories, the lone soldier fighting terrorists, the almost dead sci-fi hero being infused with nano-technology and brought back to life be interesting to play?

Gaming for me, is like playing Chess, it is against other people where I can flex some cognitive and mechanical skills.

I occasionally dabble in a good single player game, but it doesn't hold much reward for me. The only game I have finished this year is LA Noire, before that it was Heavy Rain. It really has to be something different with a really good story.

I don't get bored of the gaming but sometimes can't be bothered on certain games. But then suddenly I can play a game during a whole weekend.

I find it depends on the time I've got to play to what get put on the PC, usually I only have an hour or two at night so it limits what you can play. But occasionally I'll be playing something while having the football in the background on a Saturday afternoon.

Single player games bore me sometimes. Over the years I've got loads of SP games that I have played and never completed.

The ones that I do play to completion which is a testament to their quality is the likes of the Fallout series. But apart from that I've got ones like Deus Ex, Dead Space 2, Crysis 2, Rage all currently on my hard drive but I have no inclination to play again!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom