Does Anyone Game On A Projector ???

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by Deeez Nuuutz, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Deeez Nuuutz

Deeez Nuuutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    Interested if anyone games on a projector?

I was going to get a 4K HDR Oled but I’m now seriously considering getting a protector instead.

Does anyone have any experience with projectors or gaming on a projector? Pros & cons?

I was looking at the Epson 9300 or the Optoma UHD60 as they are both 4K & HDR.

I’d be looking at a minimum of 85”... Any idea how they compare to an Oled in regards to PQ ?

It’s a bigger outlay than the Oled but I’d love the bigger image and you can get that sort of size image on an Oled without paying stupid money.

2. mossym

mossym
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,839
    yup, 120" screen, been gaming on it since the 360 came out first. 720p first, then a 1080p, now about to jump to 4k

lag can be an issue, the uhd60 you mentioned has some questions over the lag. other issue is FPS, tracking everything on screen is a bit more than on a tv, then again it's bigger. but overall it's superb, especially games like forza

3. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,295
    I game on a projector. 130 inch screen. It’s amazing. Would never do it on a tv again. Get the screen size right with the thx recommended size/distance ratio and FPS games etc are fine.

4. RidleyDeckard

RidleyDeckard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    I'm in the 120" 4k club. It's awesome. I picked up the UHD60 and it was upgrade from one of their 1080p projectors and was literally blown away by the image quality for both games and movies. At that size you can really see the difference between 1080p and 4k.

The only thing with the Optoma is there is no keystone correction. So you have to install it exactly in the middle of the screen.

The other thing to be aware of with a projector is ambient room light, any light in the room with increase the brightness of the black level on the screen. Ideally, you want black out blinds or curtains and dark walls, as while I have black out blinds, when I'm on a bright white screen, it illuminates the whole room and as I have white walls, the screen does get washed out a bit.

5. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Do projectors give a good HDR performance? I'd heard HDR was essentially useless on projectors as they simply cannot offer the brightness required?

6. RidleyDeckard

RidleyDeckard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    They sort of cheat HDR by reducing the brightness so that they can make the extra bright parts of the image use the full brightness, but you can really notice the increased colour pallet. If you have a pitch black room it looks great. I've turned HDR off on my Apple TV, but left it on on the Xbox One X

For me, it's the increased resolution that makes a projector essential. On a 55" screen I have to be 5feet away from the screen to easily be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k, on a 120" screen it just obvious.

7. Deeez Nuuutz

Deeez Nuuutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    How is motion blur on projectors? Is it very noticeable or similar to tv’s motion blur?

Also what screens are recommended? I’ve read that silver screens are good as they can increase the black levels / contrast.

8. RidleyDeckard

RidleyDeckard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    Motion blur is pretty much the same as on a TV as it is down to the settings of the game. It isn't like it used to be where some projectors had a slow refresh so added motion blur automatically.

This is the screen I have

Tesco direct: Celexon Electric Economy Projector Screen 280 X 158 cm 16:9

And having a proper projection screen does make a huge difference and massively reduces the amount of light spill to surrounding pixels and walls.