1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone ever take the extended warranty?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Artie Fufkin, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I have never done this myself but if I ever do, then it would probably be for a DVD recorder (there is a lot of stuff to go wrong in those boxes!).

For as little as £99 for 5 year's protection, would you say it is worthwhile?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    Your joking right? If you exclude the Philips models then the majority of 'faulty' DVD recorders are broken out of the box and thus well within the producers warranty. An extended guarantee might be worth it for something expensive (TV, Plasma etc) but personnally I never bother.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Probably not. The cost of new hardware (of pretty much every type) is plummeting all the time. In all probability, when (if) it fails during years 2-5 then either

- a new one will be cheap enough to buy as to make the warranty cost seem excessive

- a new essential feature will exist on new models making you want to upgrade anyway.

My first DVD player (an imported multiregion Pioneer 505 with NO DTS ability) was GBP600 about 6 years ago. I've already upgraded it. You can buy a brand new, better specified, branded, multiregion player for - what - GBP130 ish??

SVHS VCR - was GBP800; now only GBP180 (and now with added TBC).

etc.

4. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I did for my XS32 at richer sounds. It only cost £29 for 3 years (1+2 i think) and if I don't use it I can claim the cash back and the end of the warranty period.

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I just bought a Pioneer 420 from Richer Sounds for £382 internet order - arrived today - and took their warranty at 39.95 for 3 years. But I see they've increased the price and it would now be 59.95. I wonder if the increase suggests anything about their experience of DVD reliability?
    One reason is that in the event of a problem they will arrange pick up and delivery. I reckon that's a big plus for internet or phone orderes. And they return the warranty cost if it's not used.

6. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I paid £20 for a 3 year warranty on a dvd player that allowed me to claim the £20 back if I didn't use it during the period. Alternatively I could forgo the £20 and trade my dvd player in against a new purchase for up to 50% of it's purchased value. At the end of the 3 year period I traded my dvd player in for a centre speaker. Got the full 50% or £95 towards it. Even though the brand new higher specced model by the same manufacturer was only £80! I don't think they offer this deal anymore however. Not surprisingly.

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I paid £480 for Pannys dvd rec 85. I didn't take any insurance out because it was almost 1/3 the price. Though I am concerned with the HDD failing. It even says in the manual that the HDD should only be used for tempory storage with importtant recordings being backed up imediately. Something no review has ever pointed out. Best bet is to try and get John ewis to price match as you get a free 2 year warranty.

8. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    I bought the RD-XS32 from Richer Sounds in June for £429.99, with £29.99 for their 3 year Supercare. It really is an excellent warranty service, and the warranty can be reclaimed if not used in the period. I've bought quite a lot of equipment from Richer Sounds over the years, and some of it has had to be repaired. Getting a loan machine while the repair is going on is very useful. RS also have an excellent 50% buy-back promise in their Supercare, which I've used to upgrade components for not much cash, due to the fact that items seem to get cheaper every year!

I've not bought an extended warranty from anyone else - seem too expensive and limited.

9. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a plasma it is a must. I also have a repair warantee for my sky+ boxes for obvious reasons.

However, dvdr, dvd etc, not really worth it. I am always after an upgrade by the time the manufacturers warantee expires.

I don't understand how companies can offer money back if you do not claim, how are they going to make any money from them.

10. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

The fact these companies sell extended warranties and often retail shops (the Dixons Group especially) have all sorts of bonus and incentives to get their staff to push extended warranties, means they make money so, why not be your own insurance company and make the profit yourself?

If you are disciplined simply invest the money you save by refusing the shops extended warranty, it will grow in value as you add to it and will cover any repair or replacement you will likely ever need. If you don't save it then just live in the knowledge that by never taking an extended warranty you have saved more than any likely cost to replace something new or get something repaired if it goes wrong. Also factor in to account that the Sale of Goods Act can hold the retailer liable for faulty goods for up to 6 years anyway!

I have never taken an extended warranty and must be a few thousand pounds richer for having never done so, that can go towards the plasma TV, which means I effectively get for free, one way of justifying it to the partner! :)

Regards

Philip

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that is the kind of logic I like :)

the reason I bought my plasma from John Lewis is that they offered a free 5 year guarantee

12. GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked into this a couple of months ago after my Panny E85 failed after 10 days - it locked up during editing never to reboot - not uncommon apparently. The replacement has been OK (cross everything -touch wood). I love the machine, despite one or two shortcomings, but it is consumer electronics ie not built to last but built to be replaced (over and over and over) despite the inflated price.

The equipment isn't heavy duty (witnessed by the flimsy remote) mine failed when (over?) worked on initial purchase transferring VHS videos to DVD. The replacement (from RGB Direct without quibble) has so far been fine though it hasn't had such intense use.

If you look at the website of Domestic & General who do the insuring of the kit http://www.domgen.com/FS_Center.html you'll see that you can take out warranty whenever it suits. Though the last time I looked after the first year they'll only insure on a year by year basis. Personally I intend to review the situation (price of replacement etc) after my recorder is 11 months old and decide then, before the manufacturers warranty expires, whether its worth further insurance.

Taking out the warranty probably depends whether you see yourself keeping the machine for four or five years or (like some on this list) replacing it with the latest and greatest model that comes along.

One further point, the small print on the ext warranty limits the insurance to just one replacement then the policy is void. I rather wonder for a machine that gets a lot of use whether even two of them would last five years!!

Hope this helps.