Does anyone else's KS8000 Do this ?

rosscopecotrain

Standard Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 49" Samsung KS8000 on saturday from John Lewis . I have noticed that on certain blacks there seems to be a lot of what appears to be colour banding (is that the right phrase ?). Very noticeable on the amazon app splash screen and also very prominent when watching Taboo on BBC HD the other day , the scene where Tom Hardy is in the boat , the dark sky behind him looks like the pictures below .

Can anyone who owns this tv tell me if they have had any problems like this ? I should add the pictures do make it look worse than it is but it is still very noticeable and off putting .

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpeg
    IMG_0007.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 616
  • IMG_0008.jpeg
    IMG_0008.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 591
  • IMG_0009.jpeg
    IMG_0009.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 545
No it's not good but judging by the pictures do you have the backlight on full or set to Dynamic?

Backlight is 10 , brightness 44 , contrast 90. Dynamic contrast set to off. I have tried all different settings. Setting brightness around 10 makes it better but then the TV is unwatchable.

Backlight is 10 , brightness 44 , contrast 90. Dynamic contrast set to off. I have tried all different settings. Setting brightness around 10 makes it better but then the TV is unwatchable.
Are you using movie mode (recommended) and warm 2?

Yep , movie mode and warm 2.

I've tried copying all recommended settings from numerous calibration websites and must of tried at least 40 of my own different settings.

its in the source,every tv will show it,including my oled.

Sorry. Can't believe that, I have never seen any banding on my 7500, if mine was even remotely like that it would have gone back.

Yep , movie mode and warm 2.

I've tried copying all recommended settings from numerous calibration websites and must of tried at least 40 of my own different settings.
Should be far better than that, I could not accept that kind of PQ

I can't accept it , I hate watching it to be honest. My 9 year toshiba LCD has a better picture than this. I think a call to John Lewis is due so they can get someone out to take a look.
I would ask them to swap it out as it looks awful and in theory should be better than mine. The PQ on my 7500 is truly stunning and that's coming from a VT Plasma!

your tv is not faulty,you should post in the ks8000 thread,all these 4k tvs show the same colour banding,these are 10 bit tvs showing a 8 bit feed which is also low bit rate and higly compressed,watch a decent source blue ray even netflix and amazon and you wont see that.

your tv is not faulty,you should post in the ks8000 thread,all these 4k tvs show the same colour banding,these are 10 bit tvs showing a 8 bit feed which is also low bit rate and higly compressed,watch a decent source blue ray even netflix and amazon and you wont see that.

I couldn't be bothered to trawl through 200 pages on the ks8000 thread but did notice an lg oled with exactly the same problems.
If this is the case would getting a 8 bit panel help the picture (I mainly watch sky ). Might just send it back and swap it for the £600 lg 4K , not willing to spend £1200 and have such a poor quality picture.

i understand your pain,broadcast standards are a bit behind what these 4k tvs are capable of,but fed good quality and they can be jaw dropping,you really need to demo with this kind of content to see what you can live with,the content you picked out will show up on every tv now,even my panny 50gt50 shows the same banding.

My last TV was a 47" Lg 1080p. Nothing special , but It became faulty and John Lewis refunded me the full cost price (£600 after 3 years !! ) so I put it towards this ks8000. I'm going to try and return it for a full refund and try to source the same lg on eBay , I never noticed any banding or and even sd broadcasts looked great.
I'll try 4K again In a few years.

Hopefully John Lewis will refund , really don't want to be stuck with this one !

drop that backlight down to 5, 10 is way too high on these sets - remember how high nits these HDR TV's go

plus you are on the wrong page for advice on these sets

go here and you will get ppl that have the same set including me (I have 55 model)
Samsung Owners' Forum

I have a Samsung JU Set not a KS model and the only time I've seen any banding (though not that severe) is at the very start of Life On Earth II - Space around the Earth

I believe(d) that was because my panel is 8-bit colour - but isn't the KS Series 10 bit and should deal with such things much better?

It could be the camera you have used but in general your settings don't seem to be getting the best out of TV with or without the bands (sorry)

Regards, Dave AC

Just to say, don't immediately get rid of your tv. Everyone has been complaining about the quality of the Taboo broadcasts AND iPlayer!

I had the picture looking good , the photos do make it look poor but when viewed in person it looked good. Sadly though I'm not willing to spend that amount of money on a TV that only looks great when you pump 4K into it. So tomorrow I'm taking it back to John Lewis for a refund and then buy a bog basic 1080p only set.

I have the same set as you, 48ks8000, ISF calibrated. It looks cracking and my backlight is at 6 (Movie etc). I have seen the 'banding' you mention but not to the same degree. Its a shame you are sending the tv back, I have really enjoyed mine so far.

I have the 65ks8000. I did not see the banding first time around, but it may well have been there to some degree. No TV is perfect, and they are all at the mercy of the source material for one thing - Taboo has clearly had a lot of money spent in some areas (eg Tom Hardy!) but at the expense of others (eg no 5.1 soundtrack), so it is no surprise if the image quality is not up to the highest standards. I think it all depends on what level of compromise you are prepared to accept and in what areas - going back to a 1080p TV will solve some of the issues, but it will mean losing out on other benefits of watching a 4k tv, eg detail. I have always found this TV to be generally excellent, but with the odd issue that you would expect from an edge-lit LED.

By the way, people talking about setting backlight at 5 or 6 are presumably talking about watching in a dark or dim room - I see the AVForums settings suggest 10 for daytime.

I see that when i load amazon app e.g the loading screen. but not while watching content. also i only see that on amazon app nowhere else.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom