Does anyone else suffer the "my system is rubbish" syndrome?

MultiRoom

I have a modest setup, but it's at the pinnacle of what I've owned so far as I would think that's probably the case for 99% of us.

For the last few days I've been listening to music and what I hear is, lets just say not good. Something's gone wrong. Last night I vowed to spend this morning resetting everything and starting over.

I woke up this morning in an extraordinarily good mood, decided to have a last listen to the wobbly levels for a point of comparison and find that my setup sounds as stunning as it ever has. So I'm now sat here enjoying myself and listening to all my favourite tracks.

This is not an isolated incident, and may be the result of my mild depression which is generally well managed and no longer causes me an issue, but for the last few days it's kind of dropped in for a quick hello to reminisce about old times. Just a theory.

Anyway, anyone else suffer from this odd syndrome where on one day your system seems to perform completely differently to the next?

Dobbyisfree

Yes.

Aside from human being side of this, which is probably one of the main causes...

The other thing to consider is that I would never leave a Windows PC/laptop without a restart for long. Or a phone. Computers need to be reset and our AVRs are included in this.

I've not doubt that if I had a day off, completely reset my AVR, and reran EQ then it would sound better.

Or would it? Would it be in my head that I had done that work and therefore I'm imagining that it sounds better because it needed a restart?

Who knows? But if it makes us feel happy then it's all good.

StefanBFC

I suffer from upgradeitis syndrome, even though I don't need it. I spend more time looking at new kit then actually using my own.

There's only one thing to blame Avforums 🤣

MultiRoom

I suffer from upgradeitis syndrome, even though I don't need it. I spend more time looking at new kit then actually using my own.

There's only one thing to blame Avforums 🤣
I do the same, and I don't think we're alone. Last week I was satisfied and thought my system was all I'd ever need. This week, up until today I was thinking new AVR was definitely required. I've rebooted my brain and the bug seems to have gone...... for now.

Jay53

I do the same, and I don't think we're alone. Last week I was satisfied and thought my system was all I'd ever need. This week, up until today I was thinking new AVR was definitely required. I've rebooted my brain and the bug seems to have gone...... for now.
Not the only one.

I have an Xbox series X, pc with an rtx3080 Yamaha rx-v667 and a Samsung q85r which is likely only has a 24Gbs hdmi port as 4k/120 yuv 4:2:0 is the max it will accept.

Currently have arc so can get DD+ from TV apps and xbox. I'd like to be able to get dolby truehd which my current v667k might even support apparently but if true I cannot take advantage of without forsaking 4k output. I would definitely want Atmos which is not supported by the avr.

To do so would require plugging xbox/pc into a new avr that is 4k/120 capable as TV doesn't have eARC. It should do and there is beta firmware leaked that has it but that's the subject of a different thread in the Samsung TV sub-forum :)

On paper I could get away with Yamaha v6a with its multi 24Gbs ports but given I change TVs more frequently than I do AVRs then I feel I need to at least get an AVR with 40Gbs ports as not holding out for TVs supporting DSC and being the saviour for these AVRs with 24Gbs ports :)

Bottom line is that what I have is probably enough given I can watch in 4k and get DD+ 5.1 (and possibly better given I have 7.1 avr but need to work out how to do so and still get 4k) but it doesn't stop the urge to upgrade the avr :)

Knowing my luck just after o buy the amp Samsung will deliver in the eARC update thereby negating the need to have an hdmi 2.1 avr. However given it's been 2years coming I doubt it :)

Last edited:

unoduo

Not the only one.

I have an Xbox series X, pc with an rtx3080 Yamaha rx-v667 and a Samsung q85r which is likely only has a 24Gbs hdmi port as 4k/120 yuv 4:2:0 is the max it will accept.

Currently have arc so can get DD+ from TV apps and xbox. I'd like to be able to get dolby truehd which my current v667k might even support apparently but if true I cannot take advantage of without forsaking 4k output. I would definitely want Atmos which is not supported by the avr.

To do so would require plugging xbox/pc into a new avr that is 4k/120 capable as TV doesn't have eARC. It should do and there is beta firmware leaked that has it but that's the subject of a different thread in the Samsung TV sub-forum :)

On paper I could get away with Yamaha v6a with its multi 24Gbs ports but given I change TVs more frequently than I do AVRs then I feel I need to at least get an AVR with 40Gbs ports as not holding out for TVs supporting DSC and being the saviour for these AVRs with 24Gbs ports :)

Bottom line is that what I have is probably enough given I can watch in 4k and get DD+ 5.1 (and possibly better given I have 7.1 avr but need to work out how to do so and still get 4k) but it doesn't stop the urge to upgrade the avr :)

Knowing my luck just after o buy the amp Samsung will deliver in the eARC update thereby negating the need to have an hdmi 2.1 avr. However given it's been 2years coming I doubt it :)
You could connect one of video outputs from your graphics card directly to your tv & another to the avr to get 4k with TrueHD etc.

As for the “my system is rubbish“ syndrome - I find taking a break from listening to it for a day or so helps no end.

Last edited:

MultiRoom

As for the “my system is rubbish“ syndrome - I find taking a break from listening to it for a day or so helps no end.
That's great advice. Actually I recently got a new amp and speakers and have been listening to music everyday which is quite unusual for me. I've probably just become acclimatised.

Jay53

You could connect one of video outputs from your graphics card directly to your tv & another to the avr to get 4k with TrueHD etc.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've only got one 24Gbs port so have the Xbox connected to this rather than the pc. One of the reasons for getting the upgrade sweats :)

However I did reroute the xbox through the avr. Initially it was registering 7.1 pcm as there is no longer an option to select bitstream. The options are stereo uncompressed, 5.1 uncompressed, 7.1 uncompressed, Dolby digital, DTS as they've collapsed them into one drop down now. Btw DD/DTS switch to 5.1.

Managed to get DTS master audio 7.1 so show up on avr though by going into XsX settings blu ray and ticking the allow pass through option and playing a blu ray so yes the amp does support HD audio.

Shame it's 1080p video this way so eventually swapped back XsX to being plugged into the TV so now back to using ARC which the Xbox confirms only supports uncompressed stereo and dolby digital

Tbh I think it's made my upgrade sweats worse now I've heard it working :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom