Does anyone else not bother with "for best" occasions

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crockery, glassware and cutlery,as in good China crystal and silver or ,at least, plated silver?We used to but no longer.The plated stuff we had all went to some charity shop, got some nice Stonehenge midwinter kind of rustic table ware but its languishing in a cupboard( wife prefers plain white these days) and I am down to my last crystal tumbler which i personally use for whisky or brandy.All the other glasses are very much day to day stuff, different sizes but we are not at all up on ettiquete so its case of tumblers for spirits or soft drinks and the rounded glasses for wine( no fluted jobs).Cutlery is just bog standard stainless steel jobbies with brown handles

We don't bother either. When we got married a few years back my mother in law was trying to interfere and tell us that we needed some crystal glassware and a posh cutlery set on our present list but we went with a dishwasher instead.

I can't stand the thought of wasting money on something that will sit in a cupboard hardly getting used and that you are terrified will get broken when it does come out.

I think you're bringing up a very good point here. Doesn't matter what the stuff is but It's worth holding something back for celebrations that makes a celebration special. Q.E.D. :smashin:

Personally I don't get the decent coke out for anybody for anything less than a major milestone birthday!

:)

We have ssome nice-ish wine glassses, cutlery and crockery for Christmas dinner, etc, but it's not excessive.

For example, our day-to-day wine glasses cost maybe £2-£4 for 4, whilst the 'posh' stuff was maybe £4 a glass. In some ways it's 'posher' because it doesn't get used a lot.

Steve W

We don't bother either. When we got married a few years back my mother in law was trying to interfere and tell us that we needed some crystal glassware and a posh cutlery set on our present list but we went with a dishwasher instead.

I can't stand the thought of wasting money on something that will sit in a cupboard hardly getting used and that you are terrified will get broken when it does come out.

I dont think people tend to bother so much these days.I remember my parents always made a point of bring out the silver cutlery which had been passed down from their parents( my two sisters ended up grabbing those when they died) and then there would be the crystals and fine china but it always struck as bit of a hooha and a cause to worry about breakages, hence why I stick with bog standard. I mean it doesnt make the food taste any different

Sounds like a right laugh round your house, LGS.
Staring at my wine in a tumbler, looking at my Navajo watch and wishing it was time to leave.

I haven't got special crockery, but I do have a few different sets, as they suit different foods. I do have some special glasses (champagne glasses) that were wedding presents but are beautifully thin and make the drinking of said bubbles feel more special. Cutlery is a forged steel set that I bought years ago, I have been looking for a larger set but can't find one I like

Living not too far from Denby pottery and being able to buy seconds from the factory shop every day is best :cool::smoke:

Sounds like a right laugh round your house, LGS.
Staring at my wine in a tumbler, looking at my Navajo watch and wishing it was time to leave.

Is there any need?

Steve W

I dont think people tend to bother so much these days.

Well I do. If people come round to dinner I like to make an effort and that means good food, served on decent china and eaten with silver cutlery. I know that we seem to be moving more and more into the "who cares about anything" lifestyle but I still like to make guests feel special

I don't cook food worthy of putting on good crockery or eating with good cutlery. I have a whiskey glass for my good whiskey, and a nice glass beer mug, which I got as a leaving gift from a job.

Well I do. If people come round to dinner I like to make an effort and that means good food, served on decent china and eaten with silver cutlery. I know that we seem to be moving more and more into the "who cares about anything" lifestyle but I still like to make guests feel special

Hear hear.

We do have some nice plates stashed away in the loft but they have only been used once. Unfortunately my girlfriend loves to buy novelty mugs and plates so the cupboard is full of them so there is no room for anything else.. Still at least if 58 people come to visit we will have enough mugs.

Does anyone else not bother with that poncey "2-ply" toilet paper, and just buy tracing paper like they had at school instead?

We have a special cutlery set designed by Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen no less.:D

We won it in a competition many years ago and it only comes out for Christmas dinner with friends or our wedding anniversary.

In fact the only time we ever used our dining table was when we had guests. It's a poor show when you have guests for dinner and give them a tray in front of the telly.

I melted all my silver cutlery down to make bullets ...pesky werewolves.

Does anyone else not bother with that poncey "2-ply" toilet paper, and just buy tracing paper like they had at school instead?

Not when a perfectly good free newspaper drops through the letterbox each week, no.

We have it all! Full set of Denby crockery, silver cutlery and crystal glasses. All wedding gifts. I think its great - especially using the glasses as the weight of them and the design just ooze quality and say - special occasion!

Some of the Denby has never been used (in 2 years of marriage), still with the label/ stickers on from the shop - looks like we've just nicked 'em :rolleyes:

Not when a perfectly good free newspaper drops through the letterbox each week, no.

And when thats used up its onto the envelopes - like 'steptoe n son' occasionaly when i was younger but makes you appreciate stuff sooooo much more :thumbsup:

My wife, is crazy about stuff like this. She wants to build up , every day, every day friends, special occasions and when the queen comes round. We just had a pre-xmas dinner, and she goes all out to make it special. I appreciate it.

We have it all! Full set of Denby crockery, silver cutlery and crystal glasses. All wedding gifts. I think its great - especially using the glasses as the weight of them and the design just ooze quality and say - special occasion!

Some of the Denby has never been used (in 2 years of marriage), still with the label/ stickers on from the shop - looks like we've just nicked 'em :rolleyes:

Oh is Denby fancy? All our day-to-day is Denby :blush:

We have Denby crockery, Dartington Crystal wine glasses, and a nice set of cutlery, tumblers etc are all cheap and cheerful. All gets used daily as we have only one set of everything.

As above, nothing is particularly posh, all mid-range stuff. But all looks nice enough to serve dinner on whether just us in front of TV or if entertaining.

They make a full range catering for everyday use to "posh"

Some denby is a good example of 'expensive is cheap' from the coat thread - their stuff is very hard wearing, much more likely to survive a tumble etc etc.

They make a full range catering for everyday use to "posh"

Not sure which catogory our Denby fits into but I do still wince when I see a new chip on a mug:facepalm:
Managed to replace a few when Debenhams had a sale on.

As for the silver cutlery. The wife and mother in law insisted on a set on the wedding list and to this day she's still to use it. She uses some other designer stuff for occasions though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom