1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Froggins, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Froggins

Froggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Viera 37" in my big lounge and a 28" Sony CRT in my smaller lounge!
    Sky + box directly feeds directly the 28" so the picture is perfect!
    I have Sky fed to all the other TV's in the house including the Viera so this is where the problem lies!
    The Sky picture quality is no where near as good on my Viera and i am wondering if this is due to the Viera not directly feeding by Sky+???? (Probably about a 20 metre run from the Sky box to the Viera)
    I don't want to get my Sky + box installed in the Viera room as there are no telephone sockets in there and it would cause hassle!
    So, what can i do??
    Is there a power box that can increase the Sky + feed into my Viera??
    Strange question but i watch alot of TV on my Viera and want to get the most out of it???

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    I take it you are using RF to connect your Sky+ box to the Viera?

If so, there's your problem.

You really need to use either S-Video or RGB SCART.

Steve

3. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You are feeding the Viera via a coax cable I presume, this only supplies composite quality and non-stereo so you will notice a big difference if you are connecting Sky+ direct to your crt tv via a RGB scart.

Personally I would get Sky+ moved to the plasma so you can enjoy the bigger picture. All I can suggest is an AEI digisender, I think the picture is better and it provides stereo sound, however, it does suffer from interference if someone is walking about.

4. Froggins

Froggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks wicket, where would i get a digisender?

5. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Hi

A digisender won't help. They transmit composite. All you're doing is replacing your coax cable with a radio signal.

Chances are it will make matters even worse.

You have no choice - either run a long S-Video + Audio cable or have the Sky+ box moved. It's sacrilege to connect Sky to a plasma by composite.

Steve

6. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it be possible to get a SCART lead that long?

Isn't RGB SCART better than S-Video?

7. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    I agree that RGB SCART is better - I suggested S-Video because of the length.

A 20M RGB SCART lead is going to be very expensive and not necessarily very good quality. It is also cumbersome, difficult to hide, and would require SCART plug sized holes to be drilled in any intervening wall!

A 20M S-Video lead is cheap, readily available and easy to thread through walls :)

Steve

8. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair point. :)

Is there definitely no wireless solution? I appreciate the digisender quality is not necessarily up to scratch, but is that the only option?

9. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    I'm not aware of anything...

Steve

10. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Problem with the s video option of course, is that you'd still have to route the audio too. It may be an idea to use a flat Scart cable. Profligold do a 20m run of this for £149 from Superfi. (PGV781). 'Ideal for running under carpet, simply cut a track into the underlay and lay the cable down'. :smashin:

11. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Yep but it still won't go through walls very easily :)

It's also £150...

You can get a decent quality 20M S-Video cable and 20M Audio cable from CPC for about £35

S-Video Cable

Audio Cable

ps. I still think the best solution is to move the Sky box though...
    Steve

12. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I use a digsender bought from Maplins to feed my TV upstairs. Admittedly the TV is a 14" portable but the picture quality is superb. The only interferencce I get is if I have my wireless router switched on, then I get a bit of screen roll, other than that cant complain about PQ

13. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the same setup as The Gooner and, while I'm sure a plasma and 14" portable will produce different PQ results, I can't help thinking that the DigiSender is still better than the RF option...

Might be worth trying it and take back the DigiSender if you're not happy...

14. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Isn't it much easier to extend the telephone point and relocate the Sky box? At least there is no signal loss issue with the telephone, and it has a very small end connector when it comes to drilling holes through walls.

15. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I got my digisender from Argos (AEI £80). The good thing about Argos is it is very easy to return stuff, so if you thought the picture didn't improve at least you can return it. I personally think I get a better picture in our bedroom on the digisender than via the coax cables in the kids' bedrooms.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    OK feeding a 37" viera by RF Modulated composite and mono sound is not the best idea...........there are some good Cat5 Distribution system that can over much better quality over long runs, HAving Run S-video cables 20m before (actually a Profigold) and unfortunately it was a crap picture, and needed a £150 Distribution amp to get the signal down it properly.... look into Cat5 systems (ideally move Sky+ to under Veira and Run S-video back to 28" Sony)

see www.kat5.tv

http://www.kat5.tv/modules.html

17. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Basically whatever you do is gonna cost money. Ideally you want RGB scart to the plasma, S-Video a close second. Unless you want to distribute high quality RGB sky feeds around the house, just move the box!! A couple of coaxs and a telephone line extension is not difficult/expensive. While you're doing it run an extra coax to feed the 28" TV back again! Local aerial rigger will have no problem doing this for you

If you do decide to run S-Video (very very risky at 20m, esp if cheap cable) then run coax anyway from the RF2 output of the Sky box so you can invest in a magic eye for the plasma room.

18. Big Al

Big Al
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use a dig sender to send the signal to a Hitachi 32PD3000 and the picture quality is stunning! Definatly worth a try, especially with the Argos money back gaurentee

19. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have just tried connecting my 3 year old DigiSender to my LC-37GA4E and the picture is unwatchable. I have posted a simular question on the LCD forum woops!!

It's promising to hear Big Al gets a stunning picture... Is this a new DigiSender?

Might be worth a trip to Argos.

20. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have two digisender receivers connected to a 14 inch LCD and a 32 inch crt, both give a good picture. I bought my digisender last year.

21. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just remember one man's "stunning" is another man's "crapola". Without disbelieving Big Al, it is kinda hard to understand how a wireless composite picture could look that great...
    Have to agree with Liam and Horny et al - you HAVE to move Sky+ so you can get the best signal to your plasma...

Simon

22. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi all,

Can someone explain how these digisenders work as I would like to get a sky pitcture upstairs. Is there any cabling to connect etc.

23. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bigmax, the DigiSender is a great way of viewing Sky / DVD / VHS in another room without cabling. Also, you can buy another remote control and change the channel !! I have this setup sending Sky+ upstairs to the bedroom and have a second remote to control it. I can't give you any technical details but it works great on CRT screens and it's very easy to setup with no cables... Argos have one for £80ish

However, if you are looking at using a DigiSender to send to a high quality LCD forget it.

I have just ordered Sky Multiroom, OK another £149 for an aditional Sky+ box but only £10 extra a month for perfect picture quality an another 40Gb box!!