Does Anyone else have a Denon 3802 and think its rubbish?

xxmdaviesxx

Standard Member
I used to have a Denon 1907 (or something similar, cheaper lower range model but newer than the 3802.)

I upgraded it because it didn't have enough umph!

I brought a 2nd hand Denon 3802, which yes did have more dogs bits. But i sit very disapointed with the stereo. My sources are from a 300 pound denon CD (not the best, but reasonable) via optical. I also play music from my itunes (flac) via optical into the amp. I have a pair of KEF IQ9's. The imagery produced is very flat. I have a good/correct distance between the speakers, and myself and the speakers. But it very rarely produces anything with any depth or separation. To be fair sometimes i dont think i would tell a differnce if i just had one speaker sat in the middle, rather than two left and right!

Is this normal? I am doing something wrong?

Should i buy a cheap DAC, will this help. Or do i buy a new AV amp. I need the surround. But want an amp that will give me good/reasonable stereo sound.

The problem is that i'm used to listening to my farther in laws 20k system with his wilson and benscsheshshs (how ever you spell it) speakers. I appreciate i wont get the stereo seperation that i would from a dedicated stereo amp. But it has to get better than this!

Thanks

conkerman

I thought the 3802 was pretty good, for an AV amp.

I always use 5 channel stereo for listening to all stereo sources.

I would use the DAC in your CD player rather enan the amp. The DAC in the CD player will be better than in the amp.

My 3802 sounded great with my Rotel RCD-1020. SOundstage was not the best, but you have to remember what this amp is made for.

Conks

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Are you saying the 3802 is worse than the 1907? Or that you expected the 3802 to be much better than it is but still an improvement over the 1907?
As a general rule an AV reciever will perform as well as a stereo amp costing a quarter of the price or less. So do not expect too much from it especially with what you have listened too before!!!!

nedmundo

I have a 3802. The separation issue is down to the DAC. If you connect it using half decent analogue interconnects, you should find that will solve the problem.

Also experiment with using source direct mode.

xxmdaviesxx

Standard Member
I have a 3802. The separation issue is down to the DAC. If you connect it using half decent analogue interconnects, you should find that will solve the problem.

could you please expand on this? (interconnects? phono cables?) etc..

thanks

xxmdaviesxx

Standard Member

Could you please expand on this? you mean better quality phono cables? from the phono out of the CD player to the RCA CD in of the amp?

Also for the person before. The Stereo sound. on the 1907 was better than the 3802.

Last edited:

nedmundo

Yup

Analogue Phono Interconnects.

No need to go OTT - I'm using some Black Rhodium ones which cost £40 and work fine.

Yup

Analogue Phono Interconnects.

No need to go OTT - I'm using some Black Rhodium ones which cost £40 and work fine.
If I use cheapo interconnects do the R&L channels mix together somehow, reducing separation (poor insulation/ shielding) ?.Would shorter length cheap interconnects reduce or even eliminate this reduction in channel separation?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I think Nedmundo meant to use phono interconnects instead of the optical one the OP is currently using. So letting the CD player do the conversion instead of the amp. I do not think they meant changing from cheap to expensive phono cables would solve the spearation issues.
The 3802 is a significantly older amp compared to the 1907 so this may explain the performance change.

conkerman

You could just use some better wire??

A tenner is enough really.

Conks

xxmdaviesxx

Standard Member
I managed to borrow a £60 set of phono cables and let the DAC on the CD player do the work. The seperation is alot better than it was. Still not amazing but you can only polish a terd so much.

I tried messing around with the stereo vs direct modes. Stereo seems fuller and warmer.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for a way to improve the flac coming from my macbook. I can take optical or minijack to phono from the mac?

advice?

thanks in advance

conkerman

Buy a decent offboard DAC.

The 3802 is getting on for 10 years old after all...

The sound of this amp is pretty warm in nature.

To be fair, it sounds like you have the wrong amp.

Conks

xxmdaviesxx

Standard Member
Conkerman,

If i was to replace my amp. Knowing what you do now and what i would use it for. Could you recommend one?

Thanks

Usage

40% xbox,
20% DTS Movies
40% Music - CD source and mac source.

Zorba_8

Conkerman,

If i was to replace my amp. Knowing what you do now and what i would use it for. Could you recommend one?

Thanks

Usage

40% xbox,
20% DTS Movies
40% Music - CD source and mac source.
Twice in 24 hours! I'd check this very short thread that I posted in. The OP is in a similar situation to you. I would suggest the Yamaha RXV1065 (as stated in my post (#2)) for £499.

Just a thought. :smashin:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-amplifiers-receivers/1166171-replacement-my-denon-avr-3802-a.html

PSM1

Distinguished Member
If you are not worried about HD audio and do not mind demo/secondhand then have a look for a Arcam 280/300/350. These will all give improved DTS/DD performance and much better music performance. You should be able to get them for under £500 too.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom