Does anyone else get nervous of using sound-isolating headphones?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by andrew markwort, Feb 7, 2009.

1. andrew markwort

andrew markwort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Just out of curiosity - is anyone else here bothered about using sound-isolating headphones in situations where it might be wise to be able to hear what's going on around you? E.g. I've never been able to use headphones whilst walking outside for fear of not hearing a car whilst crossing the road, etc. This is a personal thing, I guess and I'm not saying someone's wrong for not doing this. Just curious as to whether I'm alone in my behaviour.

2. chubbs1981

chubbs1981
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes! i didn't buy any for exactly that reason. i very rarely wear heaphones out unless i'm in the gym, for the reason i'm afraid of people coming up behind me when i'm not looking and taking a cheap shot.

i can see the benefit of them if you take long plane/train journeys but when walking around town i see it as neglegence to your own health and safety.

p.s yes i always sit at the back of restaurants away from windows with my back against the wall where i can see the door, and i never tie my laces in town unless i can back into a corner and even then it takes ages as i'm always looking around

3. swayne

swayne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I wore my Triple.Fi's once while delivering leaflets door to door. I forgot about traffic. :nono:

I now have some iGrado's and they're fine. I save the Triple.Fi's for when my daughter brings friends home from school :D

Steven.

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,601
    Stop, look, listen before you cross the road. Having a good few years of using IEMs and now my closed ESW9s, it is now second nature for me to repeat the first two steps because headphones do not allow the final precaution to be possible (well all but emergency services' sirens)

5. Paul 8v

Paul 8v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last year a lad near me got killed crossing the road with his iPod on so I would say It's not a great idea :( Good for the train or plane though, I'd still not have them on to loud though, it's nice to be able to hear what's going on around you.

6. Spiderkid

Spiderkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    There can be added risks when wearing sound isolating headphones, especially with traffic, but to be fair as LFC says, you just have to excercise some common sense. 9/10 being distracted or not aware of your surroundings will get you into more trouble with traffic and other people than having your hearing impared by headphones.

There are some occasions when I do turn my headphones off or down if I'm walking down a particular street, or at a very busy junction, but most of the time it's fine. In fact, having headphones has even got me out of a bit of trouble on a few occasions in the past when gangs of kids have been hurling abuse at me, looking for a response, and I've litteraly not heard them so just smiled and kept walking (much to their bemusement/annoyance).

I think you're more at risk if you're walking along playing with your mp3 player or your phone and not taking constant stock of your surroundings.

The worst problem I've faced is when someone asks me a question and I can't turn my music off in time, so I generally smile and nod... :)

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,601
    I do want to point out that whilst the ESW9 drowns out conversation, I can still hear muted traffic so I am not completely oblivious to the road

Not that I would wear them in certain places, like the part of Manchester the family home is located in :devil:

8. andrew markwort

andrew markwort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    So that could be anywhere other than Didsbury ... ;) [Lived in Manchester for most of the eighties; used to walk from my house in West Didsbury to Sifter's in Burnage every Saturday in time for it opening and to get first dibs at the new stock; I used meet some kid called Gallagher hanging around there - I wonder what became of him?]