1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone around here have the 7.1 channel add-on for the A32?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Cameron, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I have an A32 & a 5 chanel poweramp (Halo A52). I was thinking of getting a processor but I mainly use my HTPC for home cinema/stereo.

Would it be possible to do the following.

HTPC (digital coaxial) > A32 with 7.1 add-on.
    A32 > A52 (front L & R, Center, L & R surrounds)

to get the last 2 channels I could use my A32 for the 2 center rears or I'd buy a Halo A23. I could then look at using powerdvd to decode the EX/ES for the full 7.1.

If this was all possible does anyone know how much it would cost for the add-on?

thanks

CaM

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    OK - the multichannel module is analogue only so you can't feed it SPDIF. If you had a good sound card in your computer to do DD/DTS decoding then you could feed that to the MC module. Many people use a good DVD player like our DV27A/79 or 89 models, which have such decoders to 5.1 levels and also support DVD-A.

The L and R outputs are fed internally to the A32's power amps - you could then either use these to run your main speakers and the Halo to run all the others, or you could split the A32 between its pre and power amp stages (there's a little blue switch on the back to enable this) and use the Halo for 5 channels and patch in the A32's power amps for the remaining two. This may be less convenient in that you would lose the normal stereo headphones output and you may not gain much if anything in terms of sound quality at normal listening levels.

The MC module costs £350 in the UK - depending on the vintage of your A32 we may or may not need it back to ensure its operating SW supports the module.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, thanks for the reply. I have a good sound card which could do 8 analogue outs for 7.1 if needed.

You mention the pre/power switch on the back. This is something I'm currently confused with. I'm currently trying to do the following

AV amp L & R Pre-Out > A32 Aux in
    A32 Pre-Out > A52 Pre-In
    A52 > Main Speakers

(i.e. use poweramp to drive L & R for both movies and stereo)

this doesn't work though. To me it seems like it should? I talked to arcam support and they said it should go

AV amp L & R Pre-Out (main) > A32 Tape In (integrated mode)

is this correct?

CaM

4. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, i figured it out.

CaM