1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone actually use an ALiS plasma with a PC?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dh303spam, Sep 15, 2004.

1. dh303spam

dh303spam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Okay, well three months of research and comparing prices and specs and i still can't make my mind up, and would really appreciate some advice. its just such a huge amount of cash i don't want to regret what i buy.

We have a pretty small room, and will be sitting about 6ft away, so i'm looking at 32 and 37 inch screens. ALthough mostly going to be used for Sky, ps2, and dvds, i have a media center pc which i want to use for dvds, pvr, and games. i have a laptop for work and internet stuff.

i HAD decided on a 32inch lcd - probably samsung LW32A23W - as obviously with 1280x768 res they are not going to be a prob hooking up to the pc. no fiddling with pixel-matching...

however, i can't quite bring myself to splash the cash. i keep thinking i'm going to regret getting only a 32inch screen when i'm watching dvds... i had previously ruled out plasma as being unsuitable for connecting to the pc (as XGA screens are out of my approx £1800 budget) but ive seen a new samsung 37inch PS37S4AX plasma with 1024x1024 res for £1729. now heres the rub, its, you've guessed it.. ALiS... now believe me i've tried really hard to read all the posts regarding this (that was a fun couple of hours last night!) but i can't find any from people that actually use ALiS screens with a PC.

Does anybody use a PC with an ALiS plasma (or even just seen it demoed)? if so how do you find it? is it acceptable? Or would i just be better off sticking with the 32ich lcd. i did the whole cardboard on the wall thing and 37inch would be a lot cooler for films, but i don't want to sacrifice too much the ability to use the pc..

Sorry if this question is covered elsewhere...

cheers for any thoughts

2. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150739

Someone here mentions they use PC with Hitachi 42" which is an ALIS panel

Thanks for the heads-up about the Samsung. This from spec, looks, and size just what I need. Anyone know if the picture quality is good? Will it be same quality as Hitachi or is it missing extra processing?

3. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used my 37" Hitachi with a pretty ordinary laptop VGA output. the laptop was set to 1024 x 768, the Hitachi was set to 'zoom 2' which centres the zoom to the centre of the 4:3 pic from the laptop. The quality was suprisingly good - jpg stills looked stunning and the windows desktop was very clear and readable - I would imagine that armchair surfing the internet would have been very nice...
    The laptop was only CD-R so I didn't get the chance to try it with DVD etc.
    What I swa impressed me to the point that I am now seriously considering either a home PC (maybe with DVI although eventually I want to use a standalone DVD player with the DVI input) or a more upmarket widescreen laptop/dvd burner etc...

Can't say how the Hitachi would compare with a similar sized LCD but I would imagine that purely for PC use the LCD would be a better bet but then LCD doesn't quite match plasma for moving video at this stage IMHO.

4. BigGazza

BigGazza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently using a Fujitsu P42HHA10 plasma, which is a 1024 x 1024 Alis screen, and the picture quality via DVI from my HTPC is superb. I do however also have a Holo3D card in my HTPC which does the scaling for both SKY (S-video input) and DVD (SDI input), and that improves the picture quality for TV and movies considerably. To be honest SKY is almost unwatachable without Holo3D and Ffdshow, but then SKY is almost unwatchable on most large screens! Windows, and everything running off the desktop is superb though.

5. dh303spam

dh303spam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for all those thoughts.

i actually saw today that currys had the 37 hitachi alis in, and although they were sceptical of why anyone spending 2k on a screen might actually want to see it working with the right source first (and making me feel like a weirdo - nice sales technique) they let me connect my shuttle pc up and i was pretty impressed. I was expecting horrible scaling after all the posts ive read about alis but everything was actually pretty clear, even left on default 1024*768.

not as good as a 32 inch lcd, obviously, but considering im going to be watching tv and dvds most of the time, i'm definitely thinking that those extra 5" on a 37" plasma are worth sacrificing a bit of pc resoultion for.

going to bite the bullet and order the sammy..

6. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my PC connected to my 32" Sony ALIS screen via RGBHV.

I don't have any problems with it, PQ is good, Movie playback from PC is good.

As with all things plasma, one man's coal is another man's gold though. Definitely get a demo of exactly what you are wanting to do! I spent months researching to get what I wanted.

Good luck! :thumbsup: