Does anybody know where off the M3 I could get a demo for the Epson EH-TW9000?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by waggits, Jan 11, 2012.

1. waggits

waggits
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I thought i'd see if there were any dealers that are in easy reach of the M3 motorway, from Southampton to London. I have been looking at various projectors and I'm very close to making my decision on which projector I go for. I'd like to see the Epson EH-TW9000 as I was very impressed with the EH-TW5500, the only reason I didn't go for that one was I'd like one with 3D. So far i've been looking at the Sony HW30, Panasonic PT-AT5000, and the JVC DLA-X30. All have been impressive in their own way but was a little disappointed with the Panasonic in 3D, although this maybe down to the emmiter? I can't do DLP as I see the rainbow effect all the time and drives me nuts. I'm hoping the Epson may knock my socks off and willing to sacrifice lens memory for the brightness benifits. Also the other benifits is it's a little cheaper than the others.

Anyhow if there's anyone out there along the M3 somewhere, let me know. Thanks in advance as I know i can trust the forum to deliver!

P.S. Hoping it's not too short notice as I'm travelling that way tomorrow so tomorrow would be fantastic?!

2. abs

abs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Hi mate can't help you with a demo near but i did demo the epson 9000 near me in Manchester. Image was very bright and vibrant, ran avatar in 3d, didn't notice any ghosting at all and the image was still very bright compared to the hd33 i owned which bad the best 3d i have seen.

Initially i was slightly disappointed in the 3d on the epson particularly on the faster scenes in the jungle where jake is chased by the beast into the waterfall. I found my eyes trying to catch up with everything on the screen and had difficulty focusing on anything in particular. The same can be said in the dark scenes a couple of chapters ahead near the dog attack scene and the floating orbs. I pointed this out to the sales guy and after entering the menu discovered it was in dynamic 3d mode hence the super bright image. I asked him to switch to cinema mode which took off the bright edge and the 3d was as i recall on the optoma hd33 but a more punchy image.

I then demo'ed the panasonic 5000. Excellent 2d but not so good 3d. Tried megamind in 3d and i saw quite a lot of ghosting on a couple of chapters where the babies were thrown around and towards the final battle downtown, in particular around the buildings. So the panasonic is out for me.

I then tried the optoma hd82 which is 2d only and pretty much identical to the hd83 that has replaced it but with 3d. I wanted to see if the 2d was as good or better than my sony vw60. I can say it most probably was as good as my sony if not better. If this is anything to go by then i hope the 3d is as good as the hd33 as the 83 may be the one for me. I didn't really notice any rbe unless i looked for it and when i didn't it was virtually non existent.

So it is just the sony hw30 i have yet to see in action and the optoma hd 83 before deciding, Although the epson also looks very good. Decisions, decisions.

Just thought i'd share my thoughts with someone in a similar position to me. Let me know what yor views on the sony and panasonic were, i would defintely give the optoma hd83 a look.

3. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,973
    we are quite a way from the M3 but if I may just say that i`m very impressed with the 2d and 3d performance of the 9000, especially the 3d.

if you get stuck give me a shout

Allan @ Ideal AV

4. abs

abs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Hi Allan how would you compare the epson to the sony hw30/95 and the panasonic 5000 and others in that price bracket?

5. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,973
    I have sent my panasonic 5000`s back as I simply feel they aren`t as good as the other 3 main pj`s in and around the £3k area, which are the epson sony and jvc, this is only my own opinion though.

The Sony 95 is stunning and almost double the price of the epson so you can`t really compare it I feel in this price bracket.

I really do like the JVC X30 and the Sony HW30, the Sony winning the 3D battle and the JVC 2D, but its a close call between the 2.

In a light bright room i`d say the Sony would perform better as its slightly brighter, whereas the JVC will beat it for black level in a dedicated dark room. So its horses for courses as they say.

So far though, the Epson 9000 is a belter in our new very bright room and simply blasts them all out of the water

the 9000 for me is very well suited to the non batcave rooms

living/front room enviroment where lumens are needed is where the epson will excell and it does, so in this case the epson for me will definatley come out tops

but remember this is my opinion and you must get to see them all in the same room at the same time if possible :smashin:

room enviroment too is very important, which is the reason we now show them in the 2 extremes, one a proper dedicated batcave where you can`t see your hand in front of your face :D

and the other is brighter than an igloo :laugh:

Allan

6. abs

abs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Thanks for the reply Allan, so the epson easily beats the sony and jvc. Do you have any idea how it compares to the optoma hd83?

7. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,973
    I haven`t a clue to be honest about the HD83

I`m saying that in the majority of rooms where I feel these projectors will be used, which will be peoples living rooms or rooms of similar decor, I feel the Epson could be better suited and could produce better results.

it will not easily beat the JVC and Sony, nothing will, especially for 2d performance regarding the JVC.

once again please do try to see them all in the same room, we are expecting clients in 20 mins who will be doing exactly this.

Allan

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  8. abs

abs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Allan, what did your clients prefer?

9. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,973
    without question the Epson

10. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    If 3D is your poison, dlp is definitely better for reduced crosstalk. HD83 is good in 2d too, but the others would be better in 2D IMO, so it comes down to priorities.