Does anybody know a great deal about Engineering Apprenticeships?

I am keen in engineering, and i have applied to a few companies for an apprenticeship and my applications have been successful at the first and second stage with each company. But i am keen to keep my options open and i would like to know if anybody knew of a company that is recruiting apprenticies this year. But it must be in engineering as this is the career i am interested in

What kind of engineer? Mechanical, civil, electrical?

An "engineering" apprenticeship would give you the more practical side to start with.

Engineering covers a lot of things! My advice would be to get a firmer idea of which industry you'd like to work in, then go for a degree in something similar.

A good engineering apprenticeship is very hard to find now,and if you have secured one as per your first post, if its of interest go for it.

Have you tried Rolls Royce, Ford, Nissan, JCB, Linde, etc?

National Grid, BAE systems, rolls royce and ECITB are among the companies i havapplied to. They seem like good respected companies and i would be delighted to start with either one but thanks for the other companies you suggested! any other suggestions anybody?

I completed my apprenticeship with Otis Elevators 17 years ago and have never looked back. The lift industry covers all aspects of engineering, and no two days are the same.

Mechanical, electrical, electronic control, Hydraulics. You name it, we do it.

Can't conplain about the money too:D

I'm not too sure if any lift firms are still doing apprenticeships, but most take on trainee's who complete on site NVQ level 3 in their chosen field of Service / Repair / Construction

There are loads of lift firms out there, and i'm sure you could name some of the larger ones easily

Steve

The wage depends on experience and the type of engineering you get involved with. As an apprentice you might earn around 13,000 as a starting wage but it increases as you gain experience. When you reach a skilled level you can earn from 20,000 upwards (alot more upwards). As i said it depends on the area you choose and your ability.
Should be some government funded guidance people in your area, they will know all of the major companies and help you decide which area of engineering you should go for. Good luck.

michaelT1888 said:
ye i am keen to get into engineering and i like all aspects of it!! if you dont mind me asking what kind of money do they make a year?

Our trainees start at around ÂŁ14 to 16K basic + OT, and the engineers get ÂŁ24K upwards + OT & Callout money which can nearly double their basic if the hours are put in.

well i had a phone interview with the national grid today for an advanced apprenticeship in engineering. It involves mostly electrical and gas repair and maintainance. The starting wage is £11,000, but there are many more benefits as they pay for you accomidation, travel costs and give you driving lesson vouchers. You think this is reasonable, considering i am unskilled and they are basically paying me to learn a trade?

Goodness me, how things have changed. ÂŁ5.00 was my first "full time" pay packet, but then that was 1971.

One of the best apprentship schemes around at the moment is Network Rail's.

See here for info.

ye i found that one myself. Their training centre is in portsmouth and i am in Glasgow, so its quite a while away, but i have an interview for a place in nottingham, all my other oppurtunities lie in Glasgow, so these may be my first choice.

michaelT1888 said:
ye i found that one myself. Their training centre is in portsmouth and i am in Glasgow, so its quite a while away, but i have an interview for a place in nottingham, all my other oppurtunities lie in Glasgow, so these may be my first choice.

Know what you mean, but they will provide your board and lodgings and Porstmouth is not a bad place to spend some time in.

If you stay within the industry, there'll be plenty of opportunities within the Scotrail region, if not the training will be well regarded anywhere you go.

ye well i am interested in all aspects of engineering and i have applied to National Grid, Rolls Royce and BAE Systems. So i am just trying to keep my options open!! thanks for showing an interest, and if you know anything else i would be glad to hear it!! cheers

if you are interested in gas maintainance british gas do apprenticeshipsand the training and facilities are very good,probably the best in the field.

qualified engineer gets 25k basic plus other bitshttp://www.britishgasacademy.co.uk

try this site and look under technical engineer to see if there are any vacancies in your area

i agree that they did not take anybody on for a long time but over the past few years they have taken on a lot of apprentices and also adult trainees ( probably due to the fact that the existing workforce getting old ....)

why not contact them to see if they are recruiting in your area or in another part of the country (if you are prepared to move) .

ps i was in the leeds training center a few months ago and ther were loads of apprentices

ye, i have written to the Glasgow training centre, and i have been e-mailing there HQ. They, like other companies, dont have an annual intake of apprenticies around august/september. All i get from them is that it is an ongoing recruitement process and them telling me to keep checking. But i have been doing that since last september, because i like their setup, but it looks as though i will have to look elswhere, which i have been doing. I am just keen to keep my options open!!

ive just had a look on the academy website and you can apply online, even if there are no vacancies available you can put your email address in and they will contact you automatically when vacancies come up. this is probably better than ringing up on spec as you may miss it.
out of curiosity i put in my own postcode and there is one position for a technical engineer and one for an apprentice in liverpool .

hope this helps

I had my National Grid Telephone interview today, it was ok.

Anyone know of any other apprenticeships other the national grid?
I applied for British Gas they told me to get lost within hours, I must have filled the application form in badly. I've got a friend doing the apprenticeship at Scotland.

It's so hard to find a good apprenticeship. I'm getting tired but still looking as I really need an apprenticeship.

Please let me know if there's any opportunities going down and I will do the same.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom