1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does any one know what to put on the rear ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by abnett26247, Jan 20, 2005.

1. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having asked but still totally confused on this forum and i expect a lot more the same as me what should be at the rear speaker wise? im not sure anyone truly knows. ok 5/1 will mean you need just 2 rear speakers, most speaker packs seem to now use monopoles ie same as fronts or the smaller but similar as whats on the front, a few makers use dipole but not so many ,which is the correct option ? then there is 7/1, that is 4 on the back /side, so what is correct in 7/1 mode, 4 monopole ,4 bipole, or even 2 monopole and 2 bipole ? if we include surround sound cinima and surround sound music dolby IIX surround cd/ tv mode circle music surround , what is the correct speaker package to buy for the rear in both 5/1 or 7/1 does any one really know because im b-----d if i do ,or can find out and be sure before i commit my money to what is best for the rear speakers, abnett. :suicide:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There is no right and wrong just different options. Have a look at the Dolby guide to speaker placement here

3. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks but still in the dark , if there are choices what is the best option any one experimented tried both /all options 5/1 and 7/i mono or bi pole?

4. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    depends on your room and budget.

Ideal world though, you'd have a 7.1 (loads will say there is no films with 7.1 soundtrack)

As with bi-polar and di-polar issue, it is confusing but if you are buying these speakers you'd buy them for the surround only, i.e. the ones on the wall at 90 degrees to your sitting position

5. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you saying i should have bipole on the side ? not rear wall ? 5/1 or 7/1 ? thanks fyr. abnett

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I had bipolar speakers on the side walls as part of a 5.1 setup. As my settee is pushed up against the rear wall I don't think that 7.1 is viable for me as the rear speakers would be too close.

I'm not sure that I am missing much anyway and am happy with the way my rear speakers perform as they are.