Does any Broadband Router work with any ISP?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by gringojesus, Jan 5, 2012.

1. gringojesus

gringojesus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    I am looking to get Broadband hooked up to my flat soon. I'm going for no-contract broadband (plusnet probably) as I don't intend to stay there any longer than 6 months. They charge £40 for a wireless router, but I'd rather get a better deal elsewhere. If I was to buy a different wireless router would this work without any problems? If i have to configure the settings a bit to make it work is this a simple process? I'm no tech-head so I don't want anything too complicated.

Thanks in advance for input/suggestions!

(Also when I say router I think I mean router/modem, basically the box I plug the cable from the phone line into, which then goes to my devices)

2. Lerxst

Lerxst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As long as it is an ADSL (not cable) router there should be no problem. Netgear DGN1000's are generally ok and easy to setup.

3. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,578
    Off the shelf, any ADSL modem/router will work fine. It's only ISP supplied routers that cone sometimes be "locked" (for example, Sky supplied many Netgear routers with custom firmware that had the ISP details locked in so they couldn't be changed to work with another ISP)

As said, generally Netgear products are fairly easy to set up; all you should need is your ISP username and password (typically your ISP email address and account password) and most will self-set-up with just that info and a few prompts you can click through

4. gringojesus

gringojesus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input fellas. In the end I just plumped for the router supplied by the ISP, probably wouldn't be worth the hassle of getting a seperate one just to save a few bob.