1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anone do a DVD player without silly additions?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thornton, Jun 23, 2005.

1. thornton

thornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Having acquired a new HD plasma with a low end DVD player to get started, I decided to look for something really good that does intelligent up scaling. Hey - the Denon A1XV looks great, but it is 2.5k. No thanks. But what is all this "stuff" on it. RGB outputs - what are they for on a player at this level, likwise S-video let alone Composite video????? What is that doing there on a machine with a "Hollywood Quality" processor equipped machine.

It goes on. Do I want SACD? Nope? Do I want DVD-Audio? Nope. MP3 - nope. I have a telly room. I listen to music elsewhere. Do I want stereo out with or without any fancy processing? Nope. It all goes to 5.1 over optical. Don't want to pay for 6 extra sockets to output anything.

Do I want to pay for ANY low resolution outputs or minority audio formats that are not relevant to watching DVDs. NO!

It is perhaps unfair to target Denon with this. Many other DVD players have similar "stuff" on them for no reason that interests me. But is there anyone out there who makes a stonkingly good DVD player that just does a good job of producing intellingently upscaled hi res output over component and HDMI with good 5.1 output? I do not want and do not want to pay for anything else. :mad:

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    So you want an upscaling player with just 1 optical out and 1 HDMI out. I can't see this ever happening and if it did you would have to pay more for it than the current crop of connection laden players because of the way production is this day and age. :rolleyes:

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    RGB Is the native format for nearly all display devices and in particular RGBHV is the highest quality way of transmitting an analogue video signal :lesson: It's the connection method used between my Lumagen scaler and Barco projector :) Component will always have to be transcoded to RGB when it gets to the display device so theres no harm in putting a RGB output on the source component. Most use component due to the fact its the encoding method used on the DVD format ;) Personally I would buy a quality DVD transport and combine it with a good scaler as it will be superior to most one box solutions. Another thing to take into account is that scaling technology tends to be the fastest changing part in the video chain, so buying an all in one box only having to ditch the lot when the scaling is out of date isn't as economical :smashin:

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have long argued the case for transports. SPDIF output for audio, SDI / HDMI for video. Loose all the analogue circuits. A few people got close like Tag and Theta but there is a current market for a digital transport. Why repeat analogue engineering in the player when it is already done in the receiver or plasma. Just seems like a waste of money to me. Two wires out of the player please

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Unless of course you've only got an analogue display device Nic :) e.g me :D

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    and me :hiya: but you only need one set of analogue electronics :smashin: