Does an HDMI connection make it an upscaler?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by crocket99r, Dec 25, 2006.

1. crocket99r

crocket99r
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am new to this HD/upscaler thing and am in the process of deciding on LCD/Plasma TV and also need a new DVD Recorder and Home Cinema system.

I would love some advice from you.

I have looked at home cinema systems but would like one with a DVD Recorder instead of just a DVD Player but also would like an upscaling DVD Recorder, I'm not too bothered about full HD as we have many standard DVDs in our collection and would just like to get the best from these on a new screen when we get it (probably 42" Panasonic Plasma or 42" Toshiba LCD at present).

I have seen DVD Recorders with HDMI connections and wondered if this automatically makes them upscaling if you connect through HDMI, or can they upscale through other methods.

Or would I be better off just buying a DVD Recorder with HDD and a Home cinema with an upscaling DVD Player?

Sorry if I am very vague but please help me out before I lose all my hair!!

Many thanks.

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

Yes, when there is an HDMI connection the picture is normally output at higher resolutions. However, any LCD/Plasma TV already upscales the picture, so you will see little if any difference connecting a DVD player/recorder with an upscaler. There are a few reasons why it is better just to let the TV upscale the picture rather than the source, one is that the TV scaler is always being used and having too pieces of hardware messing around with the picture is going to give you twice as many digital artefacts.

HDMI/upscalers on standard definition equipment is just marketing trying to make is buy the same equipment over again.

Spent the money on a decent TV rather than on standard definition equipment with HDMI out, that will give you the best value for money.

Regards

Phil

3. crocket99r

crocket99r
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much for your help, that gives me an extra few hundred quid to put towards the TV then :D

Thanks again.