1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does AE500 suffer from same Hi-Def picture problem that the AE300 does?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by snocrash, Jan 17, 2004.

1. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Feed an AE300 with a Hi-Def picture (1080i) and every knows that you suddenly lose around 8 pixels from the edges of the picture (left, right, top and bottom) - It's just the way the projector was designed. ("Lose" meaning that the 8 pixels around are "blanked")

Does the AE500 suffer the same problem ?

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given the AE500 has 1280x720 panels, I wouldn't assume any such problem.

:smoke:

3. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there Kramer,
    Allow me to show people a visual of this issue.
    It's a well known, and documented problem with the AE300 firmware (although it may be an issue with the scaler hardware). The reason why I'm seeking some input from other AE500 owners is that on some of the US boards there's been discussion that the AE500 suffers from the same problem. Which would really annoy me - Enough banter, on with the show...

[​IMG]

Ok - First image is your normal 16:9 signal... any other signal other than 1080i will show this way.
    Second image is what happens when the projector displays a Hi-Def feed. It doesn't actually change the image in anyway, it simply masks 8 pixels all round. But you can see the problem - LCD's being what they are can't make make black - So you end up with your black masking + 8 pixels of grey, and then the rest of your picture. It sux to say the least.
    There's been speculation that it does it because right at the edges of a Hi-Def broadcast the picture is never steady (has pixel noise or something) and that panasonic in their wisdom decided it was easier to simply mask the deficiencies of the broadcast. What I don't get is that the broadcast is digital... and the entire 1920x1080i field should be spotless without the need to "overscan" or blank.

I hope this clarifies the problem for some people.

4. dan_wade

dan_wade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, i was sorta curious about this. I got an AE500 last week, my first projector. I seem to get grey boarders too. Say if i have the projector at an angle, and i use the keytone feature, im still left with the small distorted grey area outside, then the corrected picture inside that area. Can be a little distracted, as i dont have a propper screen yet with black boarders.

5. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dan, Off topic for a moment... But if you're the kind of man who reads these forums, a word of advice -- Don't use any Keystone adjustment ... you'll degrade the picture.. and some evil people may laugh at you.

6. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Keystone correction moves the image within the 16:9 field so you will get grey/black blanking.
    My projector is now in line with the screen and I need no adjustment.

Cheers

Chris