Question Does a way to add music of hdmi exist?

Joey4187

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I’ve been searching for a few days and I can’t seem to find a good solution to what I would like to accomplish. Basically I have a Yamaha receiver with 5.1 connected to my tv and I have my hdmi connections on the receiver with hdmi cec to control it all. Now I have a mixer I’ve used in the past https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MX42-Stereo-Mini-Mixer/dp/B00102ZN40 and would like something similar for hdmi into my receiver so I can connect Alexa or a Bluetooth receiver for wireless music but also Play the audio from the hdmi source at the same time over the same speakers. Everything I found was huge and bulky with a lot of stuff not needed and crazy expensive.also I don’t need the option for a mic as this is not intended for karaoke.

Thankyou for any help u experts can give me

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Not without spending what I'm assuming you are trying to avoid spending.

You could buy something akin to the Roland V-4EX which can mix 4 HDMI video sources with 2 channel 48kHz 24 bit audio. The video resolution it can handle and output are very limited though and it would cost you about £1.3K.

HDMI is more about video than it is about audio and you appear to be wanting it to source audio that you'd have less issue sourcing via more conventional 2 channel analogue outputs while using a conventional analogue audio mixer to mix them. The need to mix HDMI sources is more the kind of thing a VJ or video blogger would want or need. Just use the 2 channel analogue audio output from your sources to a conventional analogue audio mixer and then use the mixer's stereo analogue outputs to an analogue input on your receiver.

No AV receiver includes an inbuilt ability to mix any audio regardless of the source.

Last edited:
What if I was to take and split off the audio into a similar mixer and use hdmi for just video connected to the tv with a auto hdmi switch and have the sound source redirect to a mixer then into the receiver for sound? Anything that can do that?

What is it that you are trying to achieve @Joey4187, because I'm a bit confused!

Most AVR's offer an option to assign different audio and video sources to the same input. For example you could have an Aux input that takes video from HDMI1 and audio from somewhere else. Does that help?

You would 'Mix' the stereo audio off-board and upstream (before) the AVR and as Rambles says most AVR's will allow you to assign and select which audio input you are listening to (via the speakers connected to the AVR) independent of your choice of HDMI/Video Source you are viewing on a connected Display device.

If you want to keep the budget low and hardware simple you have to be thinking analogue rather than digital audio mixer.

As above a bit more detail on which Sources you are trying to mix would be handy plus an indication of your budget.

Joe

Basically I’m trying to make it so I can play audio from a Bluetooth source at the same time as the hdmi source audio from the same speakers. I was able to do it through the mixer I linked in my original post. Just trying to have it work with a better quality of sound than rca.

HDMI Source - One Source or multiple Source devices?

HDMI Source - Which audio formats will you be playing back?

Bluetooth Source - Which device and again a single device or multiple devices?

AVR - Which unit do you have?

Joe

I was thinking 2 or 3 hdmi sources. As far as Bluetooth I was thinking a Bluetooth transmitter connected to a cellphone. And the the avr is a Yamaha rx v373. I’m only going to be running 2 sounds max at the same time so 1 hdmi source and the Bluetooth for music.

What about a Karaoke mixer? they normally allow the input of an audio track (mic input) over an hdmi source? They normally have an hdmi in and out for the backing music and video with words, they then allow the mic inputs to be input over the top of the HDMI audio track. And then output through the HDMI out ?

Something like this ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-K...usical-instruments&sr=1-1-catcorr-spons&psc=1

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Some folk do make it difficult at times :)

Any chance you could list which Sources devices you plan to use?

AVR - not having multi-channel Analogue Inputs limits what you can do as you would need to always be working with Stereo audio.

Joe

O sorry it’s a ps4,Xbox one and a pc. I know I can do the music thing on each individually but I’m trying to have an all in one kind of solution that I can just press play on my phone and no matter the source it’s going to play.

Also on the karaoke mixer will the fact of it being a microphone input reduce the sound quality?

It Probably will reduce sound quality, but being honest, the fact that you are trying to butcher the sound by mixing two sources together, it is unlikely to matter much.
There is professional grade equipment out there, that will do what you want, as @dante01 has shown, but it will probably cost as much as your current set-up. I would not be surprised if it caused other problems in the HDMI chain as domestic AV equipment was not designed to operate how you want it to.

Looking at Atlona, Kramer and CYP there are devices that will inject audio into an HDMI chain, but they are designed to over-write the existing audio not to mix the two channels. Other than @dante01 's solution, the only way to do what you want is to extract the HDMI audio, mix it with the music using an analogue mixer then re-inject it using an HDMI Audio Injector, which will probably be no cheaper than the Roland V-4EX. whch you could get from ebay (second hand) for around a grand.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom