1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does a set-up DVD help with LCDs?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ginger, Dec 9, 2004.

1. ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I've owned a Tosh 32WL48 for a few weeks now and thought I had a good picture after some tweaking. I had a problem with a buzzing noise though, that disapears when I turn the backlight up to 75% or above. This has led to me tweak the settings all over again and I'm not quite there yet I think.

Having seen a few people mentioning set-up DVDs such as DVE or Avia I'd like to know if anyone rates these for setting up an LCD. Also, they seem to be available for R1 or R2 DVDs. I assume I would want an R2 one, but does it actually matter if my set can handle NTSC input? Is it useful for setting up Sky+ input?
  2. ianh64

Aug 7, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SW London/Surrey borders
    Yes they do help, but you may need to use some of the more advanced patterns for some of the settings. For example, the simplified contrast setting on DVE is specifically for CRT's, but they do provide alternatives albeit with little explanation on use. I do not know how Avia differs.

As for R1, R2. Based upon the fact that there are differences between interlaced and progressive on the same input (ie, an interlaced source needs to be calibrated differently to a progressive source even if it is from the same DVD player) and that the differences between NTSC and PAL are not subtle and NTSC has settings that are not applicable to PAL, I would say that you would need to use the disc relevant to the region that the majority of your software is.